1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 AM
chevyscottsdale is on a distinguished road
Default Need your opinion

I recently received a 91 S10 Blazer 4X4 in a trade and I need some input on whether to fix it up for myself or if I should just sell it. I have mechanical experience so the work is no problem just don't have alot of money to be sinking into a project that won't be worth it.

Currently the bad is:
cv axles are missing
can't test out transfer case
pass seat is tore up
no radio or a/c (not that big a deal)
tranny shifts into gear with a jolt
truck seems like it doesn't want to go faster than 55, didn't want to push it
body has some rust issues under doors and other body damage (slight)

Good is:
engine sounds good but don't know anything else
runs and drives
recently installed glasspack

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Pics of truck are in my garage on this forum. Thanks

Last edited by chevyscottsdale; 07-19-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:37 AM
BlackBastard is on a distinguished road

sounds like a mess. how many miles are on it?
CV's are around $130
does it have no a/c components? or is a/c just not cold? if its just not cold you could probably just recharge it. 30 bucks do it yourself.
throw some seat covers in her
ebay yourself a radio
tranny shiftin hard aint a big deal, as long its not slippin.
not going above 55 though, i couldnt really say unless ive actually drove it and felt it, but it could be some blockage somewhere in the exhaust or intake. check if your air filter needs replaced.
if i was you id look into "seafoaming" it. cleans out carbon buildup. costs like 15 bucks. just find a how to or i could put up a video on it. im about to do mine when all my parts get in.
do a tune up (dist. cap/rotor, plugs wires) do the tune up prior to the sea foam.
body wise, she doesnt look bad. look into bondo'ing the rust in it and painting over. you could give it a do it yourself paintjob for around $100 bucks if you can get your hands on a compressor and a paint gun. i painted mine myself and its held up through gravel road hell raisin' and mudding. if you want tips on how to do that just ask.
hope this helps ya

Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 AM
chevyscottsdale is on a distinguished road

The a/c blower isn't working and for the mileage I have two different mileage records. The odometer says 157,XXX but the last inspection sheet says 299,XXX. The seat and radio aren't that big a problem. I've got access to replacements, I was just giving as much info as possible. If the transfer case is bad could I just ripe it out, get a different tranny and just make it a 2wd? I haven't had much time to check out any engine internals, I was just needing a vehicle that would be cheaper on gas than my other truck.

I do happen to have a sbc 400 with TH400 tranny, if I had to would those even fit in the engine compartment?

Last edited by chevyscottsdale; 07-19-2011 at 04:07 AM. Reason: added info
Old 07-19-2011, 11:50 PM
BlackBastard is on a distinguished road

yeah im pretty sure the 400 will fit. 350's drop in with just new motor mounts. so it should be about the same.
and if that engine has about 299,xxx id definately look into it.
people drop big engines in blazers all the time, check out youtube, a 400 would for sure raise some hell

Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Alrighty,if you wanna put in the 400,you can,buy some v8 conversion mounts and,efans. Problem is you need a special 180.00 oil pan so it wont knock into the front diff. or pull the front diff and forget the 4wd and save some money if you want it to be a street toy to mess around with.

In order to trade the transmission to a 2wd you need to notch the torsion bar crossmember or buy/make a 2 piece drive shaft. Before you come up with the idea of using the 4x4 transmission and putting a 2wd tail on it,Nope wont work. the center shaft is too long. You have to completely disassemble the trans and swap shafts from a 2wd. Figured id mention it if you didnt know.

For the top speed of 55,if it still has the cat. cut it off and test it again. if it drives fine,replace cat or toss it if your state allows it. If the cv axles are missing,look and make sure the outter cv halfs are stuck in each wheel hub,if they arent. you gonna have bad wheel bearings. They wont last without the shafts in the backside of each hub.

If you have any questions on 2wd conversions,etc. let me know. Ive gone through the research for months for my 91 as well.