1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

needing some help..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Starting Member
Skitzoape is on a distinguished road
Default needing some help..

i have a 1992 s10 blazer with the W engine...

1) truck runs a lil rough after sitting for a bit and has cooled off on start up. but once running for about a minute smooths out and runs fine and strong. i do know the catalytic converter needs to be replaced, could it be related?

2) antifreeze is disappearing, not a whole lot but something that needs to be kept an eye on. no smell of it burning off or any wetness under hood. thinking of getting a pressure test done?

3) temp gauge fluctuates. when i got it in 2011 has always ran a lil shy under the 210 mark. now is running cooler, indicator is about in the middle of 100 and 210. Dad says its fine but it worries me as something that has always ran just shy of 210 is now running cooler. im thinking the thermostat is in need of replacing?

any suggestions are definitely appreciated

Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Well, you should get it hot and look for the coolant leak on the back of the engine at the back of the intake. If its hot, and quiet, you should be able to hear a leak.

With the poor running for a minute, I wouldnt be surprised if your coolant leak is internal and leaking into the engine instead of outside and down the engine. If its an exterior leak, you should smell sweet coolant. Internal, you will get some white smoke for that minute that it runs poorly.

You can also pull out the plugs one at a time and see which ones have white tips on them from burning coolant.

Temp gauge can fluctuate from the low coolant level.

I would find and fix the leak, then see if you still have the other problems. Might as well put a new "nut kit" in that intake while its apart and if you havent done it yet. Its about 60 bucks, and will keep you from having to tear it down again in the future.

What makes you think the cat needs replacing? Get under and pound on it with your hand, if you dont hear crap rattling around inside it, then dont worry about it.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Starting Member

sweet ill do that today and ill check the plugs.

what exactly is a "nut kit"? can i get it at my local part store and do i just ask for a nut kit?

cuz when i bang on it, it sounds like a can full of pebbles and the gasket between the flange is bad. it also needs a new muffler (fixed it about 2 and half years ago with really CHEAP exhaust parts but didnt replace the cat, so its just time to do it all with good parts and make it last)

Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

stat is stuck open,replace it with a 195.

The nut kit is just 2 nylon lines that run into the manifold to the fuel regulator. They tend to leak as they get older. Check fuel pressure with a test gauge (free loan tool program at autozone,just leave refundable retail deposit). Test it hot. Its gotta nail 60 psi when u turn the key,and hold above 55 after its sat for 10 minutes. If its a fuel problem you'll know it. If it holds good,move on and forget about it. If it drops down below 55,its either the pump,"nut kit",or fuel regulator. Dont ask for a nut kit,although its the common term they always have a deer and headlights look. If its indeed the pump,ONLY order a ac delco or delphi. I say that as ive gotten too many dead out of box,or dies a week later,or weak aftermarket pumps.

As for the cat,if it rattles,time for replacement.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Starting Member

oh. well when i got my fuel pump replaced 2 years ago, my buddy the mechanic who did it for me replaced the regulator. but i did do the pressure test and it was all good.

i cant find this leak anywhere, i looked all over inside the engine compartment. i do see or hear anything. taking it to a shop this week and hopefully they can find it.