1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Overdrive Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:30 PM
mars004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overdrive Question

I was recently told to always drive around in overdrive and not in normal drive because it will burn out the tranny but I find if I hit the gas when I need it in overdrive the power isnt there unless its in the right gear at the right rev. In normal drive the power is always there so i was wondering if it is true i should always drive around town in overdrive or if I should keep it in drive unless im on the highway. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 12-05-2006, 06:35 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Overdrive Question

This blazer is my first vehicle with OD. I only use overdrive when I am driving above 55 mph, usually in a nonstop road like the tollway or state highway. I have never heard of an OD unit burning out because of lack of use. I could be wrong but Ive never heard of that.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it would hurt your transmission to drive around in D all the time, but it will certainly hurt the wallet at the pump. 3rd gear is 1:1 while 4th (OD) is 0.7:1. You'll use less fuel in OD. The reason why it feels like you have instant power in D is because the transmission takes time to shift down into 3rd or lower if warranted.

That can be fixed with the installation of a shift kit to make the shifts quicker and more firm. This will also reduce the wear on the transmission.

Only reason I would ever think of not running in OD would be if I'm towing something up a long hill and it is continuously hunting for the proper gear while trying to maintain speed.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:17 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I don't think it would hurt your transmission to drive around in D all the time, but it will certainly hurt the wallet at the pump. 3rd gear is 1:1 while 4th (OD) is 0.7:1. You'll use less fuel in OD. The reason why it feels like you have instant power in D is because the transmission takes time to shift down into 3rd or lower if warranted.

That can be fixed with the installation of a shift kit to make the shifts quicker and more firm. This will also reduce the wear on the transmission.

Only reason I would ever think of not running in OD would be if I'm towing something up a long hill and it is continuously hunting for the proper gear while trying to maintain speed.
Thanks for including the fuel mileage factor, I forgot to.

I have a 92, same engine as the authors, but im to understand we have 700r4's in there, arent those electronic? and adding a shift kit would require reprogramming right? Ive only dealt with turbo hydramatics in previous vehicles and would also like a snappier tranny or options to improve the shift quality.

Mars, does it feel as if the tranny is very weak? I mean when you floor it and the kickdown starts, does it feel like it takes a while for the tranny to catch up to the throttle? Mine does and I just want to see if its a 700R4 thing or if I should spend the cash and get a built 700r4.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The 700r4 is not electronic and even the 4L60E which is does not require reprogramming to add a shift kit. Ask Scott (4lowlife). I helped him install a shift kit in his truck quite a while ago. Now I'm thinking of doing it to my Bravada in the spring (or if I know it's going to be nice weather for a few days).

Old 12-05-2006, 08:11 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

The 4L60E is computer controlled. You can make adjustments to the shift via the dealer. He can reprogram how it shifts and when it shifts.

Firmer shifts provide quicker response. Softer shifts provide a smoother ride, but wear out trannies faster.