1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Radiator and Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator and Heater Core

I just got done replacing the heater core and radiator. It wasn't getting too hot inside and the radiator was deteriorating.

So, its all back together, but since there is no bleeder by the thermostat how do I make sure all the air is out of the system?

Also, it still isn't getting hot quickly. Where does the hot water come from for the heater core, I see the one line going to the water pump, but where does the other line come from?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

either the intake or radiator. been a while i used to have a 85. if its taking a while to warm up it probably means your thermostat is stuck wide open so the coolent isnt staying in the engine long enough to get hot.

usually on the older trucks you can just leave the cap off and let it run soon as the thermostat opens the water level will drop and then refill it back up.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'd second the thermostat replacement. Also, I'd spring for the Fail-safe thermostat. They're about 2x the price of a regular thermostat but if they fail, they stick open. Which is much better than it sticking closed.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by burning_soul07
I just got done replacing the heater core and radiator. It wasn't getting too hot inside and the radiator was deteriorating.

So, its all back together, but since there is no bleeder by the thermostat how do I make sure all the air is out of the system?

Also, it still isn't getting hot quickly. Where does the hot water come from for the heater core, I see the one line going to the water pump, but where does the other line come from?
Engines don't usually warm up quickly, especially in cooler weather. You should have 2 heater hoses that connect to the heater core outlets at the firewall, which if you replace the heater core you took them off and put them back on.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

Yea, I replaced the heater core and the radiator. The hoses had to be cut on the old heater core, they were stuck stiff on there, good thing there was enough slack there to make up.

It did end up being the thermostat, I think the old radiator ate the one I thought I just put in 3 weeks ago. I might of forgot to re-install it when I cracked the outlet back open to put a gasket on it cause the old one was leaking. Now she is blowing hot as hell.

I boiled the thermostat with a temp gauge on the water too, but my gauge is still showing hot. It says about 230*F on the gauge inside, I think the sender I put in there is faulty because I know the thermostat opens on temp: 196*F.

I am going to replace the BWD sender I just put on there and if it is bad I am going to take the old one back. Clean it first of course.

Just trying to get this thing ready for summer. I dont want hot problems like I did last summer. Last week it was 65*F out here and it was getting hot, and obviously that was with a "open" thermostat.

Oh yea, got my radiator from www.radiatorbarn.com
It was 100.65US$ and free shipping. The best price I could find.