1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Is it really necessary to get a rebuilt spider injector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Is it really necessary to get a rebuilt spider injector?

I am just wondering about the innards of the spider injector, if you replace the regulator and make sure all of the seals on each line to each cylinder are not leaking, can there really be anything wrong internally with the spider injector? Aside from the injector connector, is there anything mechanical/electrical that can go wrong with a spider that would make it in your best interest to replace the entire thing?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:45 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

It depends. If your leak is not the spider, then I wouldnt worry about it. Mine was leaking from 2 of the poppet nozzles... So I needed an injector assembly. I just used a junkyard one for now, works fine.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The problem that most often occurs with the spider assembly, aside from a leaking FPR, is the poppets gum up which can cause them to not open properly and/or not spray properly.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Beginning Member
neex is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bertrenolds
I am just wondering about the innards of the spider injector, if you replace the regulator and make sure all of the seals on each line to each cylinder are not leaking, can there really be anything wrong internally with the spider injector? Aside from the injector connector, is there anything mechanical/electrical that can go wrong with a spider that would make it in your best interest to replace the entire thing?
I had the main body show a hairline crack behind the FPR. It was done for. I've never really seen one shorted out and I have a few in my garage for poaching parts. You can rebuild them yourself with patience. The FPR is the most common problem aside from a failed nut kit. I've never had a varnished up or stuck poppet yet but I hear it's also common. The plastic retainers seem to break now and then as the heat cycling makes them brittle. You can buy replacements that are sold as a 'test kit' I believe.

I hope this helps!
A.