1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Replaced headlight with Hella Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:07 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Default Replaced headlight with Hella Conversion

I replaced my H6054 headlights with Hella Vision Plus conversion headlights that uses 9003 halogen bulbs. The improvement is fantastic. I went with the DOT version vice the E-Code just to be legal. I have also orderd the wiring harness that uses a relay and provides direct battery power to the headlights. I like the idea of taking the load off of the headlight switch. Not sure if that is going to make a difference in the lighting or not but the harness is direct plug in and no splicing. The harness will also allow me to switch to HID or higher wattage bulbs if i choose to do so at a later date. I looked around for conversion headlights and the quality of the Hella's is what sold me on them. They are more expensive then some others but I believe they are worth it. If I was going to order them again I would probally order the E-Code version just from the reviews I read on the internet. I have no complaints on the DOT version. The only thing I did was to plug the drain hole on the DOT lights to keep water and moisture out of the headlight in the first place.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:16 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the hella H4 conversions in my 91 they are great lights.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

Could anyone provide a link to a set of these? I've never heard of a complete conversion set.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:26 PM

http://www.autobarn.net/hella-retrof...651-h4656.html

Here is the link for Auto Barn this is where I purchased mine from. There are two versions for the same price. DOT and E-Code. E-code is europes version of DOT approved but with a different lignt pattern and comes with H4 bulbs. The DOT version comes with 9003 bulbs.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:47 PM

Today i also instalalled a 9003 wiring harnes I purchased on ebay. The harness uses two relays to provide direct battery power to the headlights. This provids full voltage at each headlight and takes the load off of the headlight switch. The harness is plug n play and no splicing required. If you want to add HID's you have the harness that can handle the load. The only thing with the harnes was that it was just barely long enough to reach both headligths but it was long enough. The installation required removing both headlights, removing the horn from the mounting, removing the battery, removing the grill. This allowed me to run the harness from the battery through the radiator support along the front bumper and back through the radiator support. Attached the ground wires of the harness to the factory ground location at each headlight. Plug the harness into the factory harness on the battery side, plug each headlight into the harness, install both relays into the harness, install battery, connect the two wires from the harness to the pos battery post. Test the headlights and reassemble the headlight bezals and front grill. I just laid the part of the harness with the two relays in front of the battery. Everthing works just fine. I will see tonight if the lights are any brighter, even if they are not I like the idea of using the relays to take the load off of the headlight switch.

Last edited by mr.vls; 02-20-2010 at 02:54 PM.