1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

safe jacking/jackstand points?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

only bad thing about jacking up on the center of the differential is that you can risk bending the cover. but never really seen that happen

Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

NC93BlazerLT, dude, what the heck is that!? LMAO just kiddin man but in all seriousness I have done some stuff like that and it almost cost me a leg when the block crumpled....

Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

ive used cinder blocks numerous times. That looks like a nice 1st gen you got there. Its identical to the one im driving for the winter

Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Starting Member
musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road

thanks guys! And i never heard of people saying that jacking the pumpkin is a bad idea. the guys on the thirgen.org website (for 82-92 f-bodies) always mention jacking those cars under the pumpkins so I don't see why it shouldn't work on an S15. But body on frame construction is nice. You don't have to worry about smashing anything as long its on the frame lol! there's so many "jacking guidelines" you gotta follow with the unibody sports cars like my 91 trans am lol.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:00 PM
NC93BLAZERLT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
ive used cinder blocks numerous times. That looks like a nice 1st gen you got there. Its identical to the one im driving for the winter
Thanks. It's my daily driver. 200,000+mi. and she just hums. Small issues but I keep them in check the best I can. I've driven her through a few mountains, and she got a scratch on that paint. I couldn't stand such a nice truck with a scratch in the paint, so I repainted it. Here she is now, but decked with CB ant.'s

Originally Posted by bigjon1
NC93BlazerLT, dude, what the heck is that!? LMAO just kiddin man but in all seriousness I have done some stuff like that and it almost cost me a leg when the block crumpled....
Aww Hell, I get in, jump around as much as I can, if she doesn't budge, I throw a few tires underneath as back up, and get to work! lol

Attached Thumbnails safe jacking/jackstand points?-100_9489.jpg   safe jacking/jackstand points?-100_9487.jpg  

Last edited by NC93BLAZERLT; 12-30-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:01 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NC93BLAZERLT
she got a scratch on that paint. I couldn't stand such a nice truck with a scratch in the paint, so I repainted it.
i'm not a fan of white on any vehicle, but that truck was gorgeous, why did you repaint it like that?!?

to each their own, i guess. but do you know how hard it is to find a 1st gen in nice shape, with nice wheels?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:11 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WolfPack
As long as you have a jack that is safe to cradle the tube...otherwise...slippage is possible.
Ive also heard never jack on the differential housing, stick to the tubes.
I HAVE heard this as well. But.

Originally Posted by abig84
only bad thing about jacking up on the center of the differential is that you can risk bending the cover. but never really seen that happen
I do agree with this. Just be careful not to allow the edge of the jack to catch the lip of the cover or the bolts.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
i'm not a fan of white on any vehicle, but that truck was gorgeous, why did you repaint it like that?!?

to each their own, i guess. but do you know how hard it is to find a 1st gen in nice shape, with nice wheels?
Maybe so... But a bought a 4x4 for a reason, and it wasn't to cruise around and look pretty in! Yeah, it was beautiful when I bought it. I only gave $1300 for it. I tried keeping it pretty for a while. Cleaning the leather constantly, armor-alling the tires, polishing the rims, etc... But then I took her through the trails of the mountains, and came to the conclusion that she won't stay pretty forever, not if I use her for what she was designed for. I don't beat her up or anything. I take good care of her. She's still the truck I bought, just painted to suit my taste.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Starting Member
musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NC93BLAZERLT
Maybe so... But a bought a 4x4 for a reason, and it wasn't to cruise around and look pretty in! Yeah, it was beautiful when I bought it. I only gave $1300 for it. I tried keeping it pretty for a while. Cleaning the leather constantly, armor-alling the tires, polishing the rims, etc... But then I took her through the trails of the mountains, and came to the conclusion that she won't stay pretty forever, not if I use her for what she was designed for. I don't beat her up or anything. I take good care of her. She's still the truck I bought, just painted to suit my taste.
You have a very nice blazer. You must be from down south since I don't see a spot of rust on it. We New Englanders only dream of the older GM trucks to be that spotless.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by musclecar70sfan
You have a very nice blazer. You must be from down south since I don't see a spot of rust on it. We New Englanders only dream of the older GM trucks to be that spotless.
Yeah, My trucks been to Georgia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, and now in TX. No rust whatsoever, and she's taking a beating at times. The only time I ever got stuck in her was because it had street tires on it. I changed that. Anyhow, thanks. I like my truck alot. It serves the purpose.

Quick Reply: safe jacking/jackstand points?