1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Shooting flames out of the exhaust now....aaarrrrgggg.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:49 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

So so now i have been lead to a different issue with this Jimmy.
Here are the stats 94, 4x4, 4.3 W, automatic

Now it is shooting flames out of the exhaust. The exhaust stops after the cat. My parents told me that it blew the muffler off the truck and almost caught the underside of the truck on fire.

So, now that it runs and and idles better after changing the FPR, MAP, and TPS i need to figure out why its shooting flames out of the exhaust. They are about 3ft long and orangish white flames. Sometimes it sounds like some times it on 1 bank then sometimes it sounds like its on both banks. Kinda wondering if it may be a timing issue or something like that not really sure yet. Has anyone ran into this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dustin

hmmm. Well i had some time to think about it and i'm wondering if the TPS is set incorrectly if that will make it shoot flames out of the exhaust because before i changed it there were no flames coming out of the exhaust it just wasn't idling consistantly. So, i think i'll check the TPS again and see if its set how it needs to be. It would make sense that if the TPS wasn't set right like it thinks the throttle is 1/2 open when its not and maybe it putting 1/2 throttle worth of gas and its not getting 1/2 worth of air makes it shoot flames b/c the A/F's aren't right.

What do you guys think about this idea? Might be heading in the right direction?

Update 1/28/2010: I checked the TPS and it is set correctly so i guess its back to the drawing board.....

Update 1/29/2010: I pulled the plugs and they were all fouled and one of them had absolutely no gap at all. I also checked the compression and all of the cylinders and they were all well over 100psi except for the #4 cylinder it was right at 100psi. I'm gonna put the new Ac Delco plugs in and see how it runs after that. It had Autolite 25 plugs in it (junk). So, hopefully i'll have more progress tommorow.

Update 1/31/2010: Well i put the new plugs in and that took care of the flame shooting, so i guess its on to the next issue. Thats for another thread though.

Last edited by hubert hefner; 01-31-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS, Progress update