1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Spark + Fuel = Nothing??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You gotta check the fuel pressure for a leak inside man... Its prolly gona end up being a leaking spider unit inside, its pretty common now that the trucks are 16+ years old... The only way to tell is to test the fuel pressure.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member
chevynap79 is on a distinguished road

All righty, I finally got a fuel pressure gauge put on it. When I turned the key, it jumped to 40-45 psi. After a few more times, it would go to 40 and then jump all around up to 60 and back before it fell to 0. While running, it stayed at between 55-60. I drove it around again after adjusting the timing and it still missed out, but I think that's because of a plug wire that's spewing sparks out of it.(It was a 'save my butt' wire, I just haven't had the money to buy new ones yet) So I've got pressure, yet it won't start unless I put a small amount of fuel in the trottle body. Is that the symptoms with the spider units? At over $250, I really hope not! If it is, is there a more reliable replacement for them? I know it's a factory flub, but are there units that are better than another? And I haven't checked the regulator, because I don't know where it is. I feel I'm sooo close to the answer...

Old 07-12-2011, 01:36 AM
jigger is on a distinguished road

Did you re-connect the vac lines that were off? Extra air (un-metered) and your iffy fuel pressure could make it want to be primed before it will start.

If you can't find where they go then plug them for now and make sure there are no open vac ports to the plenum/intake manifold.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Beginning Member

As far as I know all the vacuum lines are connected. I don't hear the massive sucking sound when its running. I'm not sure if they're where they were before though. They had all been removed when we changed the ignition module and pick up coil. I don't know if it'll make a difference how they're hooked up as long as they're hooked to something. It gave me false hope because it did actually start once on its own. The next time I tried it, it just turned over and over.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Beginning Member

So this thing has started on its own three out of 15 times. When it starts, it does like normal. The other times it just cranks. If I prime it, it starts fine each time. Would this be a computer problem maybe? I'm runing out of hope!

Old 07-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

40-45psi is NOT enough pressure for your motor. Minimum 55psi is required for proper operation (both starting & running) of your engine.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Beginning Member

So it sounds like a tank to engine problem? Weak fuel pump, bad filter or regulator? Is there anything else I should check? I've got zero money to spend on guessing or I'd replace everything! Thanks for all the advice!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Beginning Member
chadillac85 is on a distinguished road

sounds like a weak pump best to go with a ac delco pump it will last longer and save u the hassle of pulling the tank twice(learned from first vortec). good luck wish mine were as easy .

Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks everyone! I guess as soon as I can come up with the money, I'll replace the fuel pump. And chadillac85, sorry you're problem's not an easy fix! Good luck to you too!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Beginning Member
rmitch is on a distinguished road

Before u buy any thing, be sure to take pump out and check the sock(filter) on the bottom of fuel pump to make sure it dosent have anything blocking it! While you got lines disconnected from tank,(also disconnect lines at TB) then take a air compressor and blow out lines real good! Finally reconnect everything and see how it does! You may just have some trash to slow down pressure! good luck

Quick Reply: Spark + Fuel = Nothing??