1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Stole my truck..busted up steering column

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Sunshine Coaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stole my truck..busted up steering column

Hi all...in Vancouver last week to buy another car and some low-life punched out my door lock and stole the truck!! Problem is, they busted the shroud that covers the lock, blinker, wiper assy's to get to the steering wheel lock and ignition. I have a full load, ie: cruise, tilt, delay wipers, etc. and can't find a replacement with the same options. Anyone know if I can just tear it down and replace the shroud with one from the wreckers? Are they the same regardless of options? The blinker arm and ignition barrel are the only things mounted to the piece I need to swap. Believe it or not, ICBC here in BC has written off the truck because they say it will cost $3500 to fix the door, repair the dash where they pried out my deck and swap out the column. Needless to say i'm keeping it and fixing it myself. 88,560 on the odometer and over $5400 worth of reciepts in the past 2 years and they say the book value is $2400. What a bunch of bandits. Insurance in BC is a joke...the gov. runs the only game in town..no choice but to go to them. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

I would go to the wreckers and see what you can find. Sorry to hear what happen to your truck. Hope you get it back and running soon.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:48 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Buddy I feel for you. I just moved back to Edmonton from Abbotsford and lucky I never had to make a claim through ICBC... They gouged me big time there too! 130 a month for each vehicle! In Alberta I can have 3 for 850 a year. Im still on ICBC here for a while till I get this truck fixed up for inspection... BC insurance blows, wages are lower and the 12% tax is retarded too. Glad I came back home now.

Anyways, you can take the shell off the steering column because no matter the options they have the same shape. If you are in for the drive, I know that Chiliwack Pick N Pull has a shatload of the trucks you want in their yard.

get yourself a CLUB for the steering wheel. I got one free from attending an Edmonton city police community meeting and the auto theft task force gave everyone in attendance a free club in yellow, with the edmonton police auto theft task force labelling on it. Ill park it anywhere now.