1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Studdering, Kills, Tranny Slips???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Brandon31386 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studdering, Kills, Tranny Slips???

I have an issue. Earlier today i took my truck out. Started fine, ran fine, but drove crappy. Felt as if the tranny was slipping(RPM's increase, but no accelleration). Checked the fluid, and its fine. I dont know what is causing it. Then, i took it to my shop where my girlfriend and i replaced the front grill, when i pulled it out of the shop it began to run like crap. It would bogg down, threaten to kill, and not wanna accellerate. I would push on the gas, and it would just bogg.So i shut it off, started it up, and it barely wanted to stay running. I had to pump the gas vigorously in reverse to get it off the main street.

Any ideas on what is causing all this crap? The tranny screwing up, and not it not running? Please HELP! Id appreciate any thoughts and ideas! THANKS!!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:57 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Studdering, Kills, Tranny Slips???

whoops! you missed one... you might want to edit that last line before the Admins get ya

Old 12-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we can do with out all of the language.

Anyway, what are you workin' on here? There are 3 different automatic transmissions used in the 1st gen trucks as well as quite a few different engines.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:54 PM

how can i find out that information? I know the engine is a 4.3 ...but the tranny idk.

sorry about the language, i was quite fustrated. I didnt need this to happen before xmas.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:21 PM
southside is an unknown quantity at this point

if its a 4.3 then its a 700r4, in my experiance the v6version of the 700r4 have a habit of leaking and failing

southside

Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: southside

if its a 4.3 then its a 700r4, in my experiance the v6version of the 700r4 have a habit of leaking and failing

southside
not necessarily... i have a 4l60e

Old 12-11-2007, 05:42 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

year of the truck will help a bunch.

700R4 until the early '90's.
4L60 until '93.
4L60E '93 on.
In '98 they made it a two piece housing.

Teh internals are basically the same, however the three versions have differences.

No with that said. Crappy engine perforamance will affect trany performance, especially in a late modle truck. Teh puter reads the engine and adjusts the tranny accordingly.

What year is your truck, and verify the engine is a 4.3?
It would also help to know which fuel injection system you have.

My first thought is when was the last time you gave it a tune up?

Old 12-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Its a 1992. 4.3.It has like a carb/TB fuel injection. The last tune up was about 1 year ago. Oil change 1 month ago. I just pulled the truck out of storage about 1 month ago. But whats weird is all day it ran fine except for the tranny slipping....then all the sudden it acts funny, dies, and doesnt wanna start? That leaves me lost because i dont see how the same problem can be related between the two.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:03 PM
southside is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: otnietdehoooo

ORIGINAL: southside

southside
not necessarily... i have a 4l60e
i have yet to use a 4l60e but the pre 94 v6 version of the 700r4of which i have had mutiple failures previous to my purchase, with failures caused by a leak in relitly fresh overhauls.

southside

Old 12-12-2007, 08:35 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

'94 would have a 4L60 tranny. Still uses a TV Cable to change gears.

Sounds like your issue is engine related. Wont start!
Storage, how much did you drive. Did you put anything in the gas tank when you put it in storage?
You could have varnish build up clogin up your injector(s). Fuel injection system should be a TBI/TPI.
Pour some ether down the intake and see if the truck will fire and die? If so, everything works except your fuel delivery.

Quick Reply: Studdering, Kills, Tranny Slips???