1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

temp gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:10 PM
joe vortec is on a distinguished road
Smile temp gauges

hi can some one please help me with my 94 blazer s10 4.3 cpi..? i just got it to run i got it very cheap because there was an issue with the spider injector..well i finally got one and now it runs the thing is because the cylinders were decompressed i had to put some oil on each one and after playing with the dist i got it to run but i do not own a timing lamp.. so im not sure if the time os on 0's i feel like the engine is going hot but the temp and amp gauges do not work ...any advice on how can i check them?
i already went trough all the fuses...
... tomorrow im going to check the thermostat... it might be stuck...
thanks
joe

Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Hey man, your temp guage is run off a senson on the passenger side of your engine. My temp guage didnt work either and it was cause the plug on the sensor was broken off. Its between and above the 2 front spark plugs and takes a 13/16 spark plug socket, or deep socket to get out. Coolant is going to start pouring out that hole so get your new one ready with teflon tape on it to stick in there and you shouldnt lose very much. My new sensor was 30 dollars canadian at NAPA auto parts.

If the plug is on it, I would check the single wire that comes off it and chase it back up to where it comes from, its quite possible that it could have been burned through on the exhaust manifold. Or try wiggling the wire at the plug while someone looks at the guage to see if its a broken wire or whatnot...

You can also buy yourself a cheap timing light for 30 to 40 bucks that will come in handy many times in the future, you dont need a fancy one. Or try asking a neighbor, lots of older folks own this kinda stuff from back when they drove carbuerated cars. Allthough I dont think you can adjust the timing on your vortec... Timing light hooks up to the battery, and the clamp goes on plug wire #1, thats the drivers front... There is notches you will see and a white line on the crank balancer pulley when you point the light at it. It should sit around 0 at idle, and advance to 7 or more when revved up.

As for the volt guage, check out the connections at your alternator for looseness, or maybe there is one small wire thats down behind it that someone forgot to put back on...? Again give them the shake while someone else looks at the guages test. Then check the connectors on your dash cluster, and it doesnt hurt to put a little dielectric grease on electrical connections for the future.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Beginning Member
f-ten is on a distinguished road

One question: is it an automatic or a 5 speed?

I have the same truck and my temp gauge has never worked correctly. Although it does move, I have never seen it go up higher than halfway to the 210 mark. These little trucks have particularly inaccurate gauges, if in fact they work at all -- Ive had issues with almost all of them at one time or another. good luck with tracing the problem . my guess would be a bad thermostat seeing as it seems it can only take one instance of overheating to kill it.

As for the voltmeter, in both my s10s the gauge reads somewhere between 17 and 19, but when you check the battery, it tests fine.

Last edited by f-ten; 01-22-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-22-2010, 06:00 PM

hey guys thanks for the good advice !! :^)
i will go and check the sensor plug and cable tomorrow // i was under the imprecision that the timing could not be adjusted as on old rides.. but on this ones you do not move the rotor cap but instead all the dist. it has 1 screw that we can loose up... i move it the truck idles high or low ...
i already check the thermostat it did not had any ..jajaj sems like the prev howner removed it
down here in texas we dont needed that much ..the lowest we have got on whether is 37
the volt meter is as yours nut its on 19 all the time the ride is on.

i will test over the week end and keep you posted

Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Starting Member
Eff10 is on a distinguished road

Wait, so are you saying that you don't have a thermostat?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:57 AM

Yeah you dont have to have a thermostat, it will just take alot longer for the motor to warm up if you dont have one. In a place like texas where its never even close to zero, then it wont matter if you can get heat.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Just about the worst thing you can do for your engine is to run it with no thermostat. Never will run quite right. I'm a Texas boy too (North Texas) and do my share of freezing my a** off in the winter, but I'm a wimp when it comes to cold. Give me a good 100+ day anytime.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:57 PM

yup north texas is cold i agree i have familly in dallas ... it gets way colder up there i live in laredo,
the lowest we got a couple of weeks ago was 39 i think..i will consider placing one in they are not that expensive and not too much work either
on the vol meter gauge i giggled the cable and it went down... i would say to like 16-17....
the temp sensor connector is ok i wiggled it an it did not move at all the cable is still isolated with the dark plastic tube... i will try to get the sensor until the 15th.. pay day for mee..

Old 01-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Nah go to the wreckers with your large plug socket... The senson fits in your pocket, which will make it free when you leave the yard...