1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Transfer Case seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:28 PM
tony991 is on a distinguished road
Default Transfer Case seal

How do I replace the transfer case seal at the rear drivshaft? It's leaking like crazy!!
It's on my 1988 S-10 Blazer.
Thanks!!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Remove the rear driveshaft and then pop out the seal. However, the seal is probably not the only problem. There is a sleeve bearing in the tail housing that can also go bad and make the rear seal leak. Check for play in the slip yoke. If there is play in the slip yoke, you will have to remove the driveshaft and inspect the slip yoke inner splines & outside diameter for signs of wear. If it is worn, you will need a new slip yoke, new bushing, & a new seal.

If you have to do all of that, you will need to pay attention to the orientation of the slip yoke to the driveshaft. There should be a tooth missing from the ID of the slip yoke. Just mark the alignment of that missing tooth to the rest of the driveshaft. I have seen this cause vibration problems if not installed in the same orientation.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:35 PM

I tried to take the seal out and I wasn't able to. I even tried it on my spare transfer case.. I wasn't able to get all of the seal out. So I gave up. Is that steel ring in front of the gasket pressed in holding the gasket in?

Also, This is the gasket i need right? I have a NP231c. Do I have to replace the metal sleeve that comes with the gasket? Or can I get away with using just the gasket like in the second link?
Timken/Transfer Case (Seal) (5200) | 1988 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4WD 6 Cylinders Z 4.3L TBI | AutoZone.com

Timken/Transfer Case (Seal) (9613S) | 1988 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4WD 6 Cylinders Z 4.3L TBI | AutoZone.com

This picture is from my spare t-case. As you can see the seal just fell apart, I wasn't able to get it all out...

This is of the t-case that's in my truck.

Oh and Its wierd cause the fluid that's leaking by the rear driveshaft is red like it's suppose to be but I drained the fluied and it was brown and smelt burnt. Why would there be two different color fluids coming out of the t case?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Starting Member
cody.whitford is on a distinguished road

were you able to find out what was leaking i have the same problem have a 1989 blazer replaced the seal connecting the transfer case to the tranny and still is leaking. is it possible my transfer case could have a crack or what did you replace my fluid when i drained it looked just like yours in the pic.
Thanks

Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by cody.whitford
were you able to find out what was leaking i have the same problem have a 1989 blazer replaced the seal connecting the transfer case to the tranny and still is leaking. is it possible my transfer case could have a crack or what did you replace my fluid when i drained it looked just like yours in the pic.
Thanks
It was the seal at the rear drive shaft.