Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

np 208 transfer case adaptor seal / leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:46 AM
k5009 is on a distinguished road
Question np 208 transfer case adaptor seal / leak?

Hey guy's,

Great forum!!! Just got my first 6.2 k5 the other day .....and just got a fat leak between the adaptor and tranny. Im figuring it's the input seal but i heard there are seals in the adaptor it's self???

Thanks,
Scott
Salinas, CA

Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Manual or automatic transmission? What type of fluid is leaking out?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:42 PM

700r4 and it's tranny fluid......4x4

Found this statement on another forum, it's a guy selling an adaptor.

((((Transfer Case Adapter for 700R4 to NP208, short style, works with single or double hump crossmembers, with AC Delco seal rings for the tranny, pkg. of 4, new. These must be used 2 at a time due to GM Tech Bulletin notice. $75.00)))

Oh man now there is a bulletin notice on these seals, need this huge leak fixed in 12 hrs...

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-18-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: *Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit feature to add more information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are loosing transmission fluid from the trans. The seal for the back of the transmission would be in the adapter. You need to drop the transfer case to replace this seal.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:25 PM

So yes I read there is no output seal on these. all I hear about on-line is t/case input seals leaking...Been part searching and as of this point haven't found part #'s for these seals(not gaskets), or anybody who has them or even has them listed in thier system. napa, autozone, kragen their system have no mention of it.....

Anybody try that GM tech bulletin? I don't get that if these seal are pressed into a flange seat?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Actually, I think I was incorrect. I don't believe that there is a seal in the adapter, only gaskets and/or RTV to seal up the cavity at the mating faces (transmission to adapter & adapter to transfer case). If the input seal on the transfer case were to be leaking, it would cause an over full condition in the transfer case that could then push out of the vent on the t-case.

Sounds like you need to pull the transfer case and adapter. Clean the noted faces. Then apply RTV and reassemble. Allow it sufficient time to setup (at least 12 hours, but 24 is what is recommended on most brands of RTV) before driving.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 PM

holly crap....the gap between the tranny and adaptor is super super tight and I see no gasketing material of any kind and the t/case fluid level is bellow the fill port....

looks like some retard put the tranny in and didn't gasket the tranny to adaptor surfaces!?! odd tho i didn't leak too much for a couple days after I got it.

I got all the seals for the t/case guess I should do them while I have the t/case off.

So if I rtv'ed it( and din't worry about the input seal), I could just push back the t/case with the adaptor just enough to get a rtv layer on?

Will the tranny want to leak from the output shaft while I did this gasketing process, contaminating the surfaces and the rtv?

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-18-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: *Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit feature to add more information to your post if another member has yet to reply.