1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

turn signal arm replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Sunshine Coaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default turn signal arm replacement

Hi all..broke my turn signal arm ( squirter tab broke off ) and have a newOEM replacement on it's way..question is: any tricks I should know before ripping it apart? Does the steering column have to come right out or can i work from the steering wheel down to it? Does the wire harness run inside the column? Haven't crawled under it yet due to my bad back and tight spaces..and just want to make sure I'm not doing more than i have to. Thanks in advance for the tips.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:59 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: turn signal arm replacement

It should be pretty simple to replace it, remove the column surronds that are on it and it should expose the switch and wiring!!

Old 02-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not that simple on the older trucks...

[ol][*]Disconnect battery ground cable[*]Remove steering wheel as outlined under "horn sounder & steering wheel, replace" procedure[*]Using a screwdriver, pry cover from housing[*]Using lock plate compression tool J-23653, compress lock plate and pry retaining ring from groove on shaft. Slowly release lock plate compressing tool and remove tool and lockplate from shaft end.[*]Slide canceling cam and upper bearing preload spring from end of shaft[*]Remove turn signal (multi-function) lever[*]REmove hazard warning **** retaining screw, button, spring, and ****.[*]Remove pivot arm.[*]Wrap upper part of electricall connector with tap to prevent snagging of wires during switch removal.[*]Remove switch retaining crews and pull switch up from column, guiding wire harness through column.[*]Reverse procedure to install[/ol]
Now the lock plate retaining ring can be removed without the special tool, but be careful as those springs can be strong.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:31 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

If my boat was in the water I could run over and give you a hand.

This is not the best picture 'cause it doesn't show the whole tool for compressing the lock plate to remove the clip.
You can remove the clip with help, if you push down evenly on both sides of the plate and a second set of hands removes the clip.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/074D6DFCD4AB4369A33C0E0F794A9A52.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 PM

Glad I asked..now I know what to expect. Thanks for the procedure Swartlkk and also for the pic Chevy Lover, I've got a pretty good universal puller kit and I should be able tp piece together something. At least i don't have to drop the column.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

On my 91 the wires broke inside the arm for the cruise and to replace the arm was as simple as giving it a twist and pull it out and fishing the new wire down the column and push the new arm back in place. If my truck wasn't in storage right now I would make a video of me doing it took all of 5 minutes if that.
Mine looks like this

Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 AM

I haven't pulled it apart yet..waiting for UPS to getthe new onehere first. Not sure what the end of the plug looks like but the body and stem are the same. By looking at the picture I think I'll do it the hard way. The shaft looks like it mounts in that groove part way up and it could be secured, I would guess, be either a detent-typerod and spring or a surclip. Don't want to break it finding out. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:44 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

If your signal arm looks like this and you have a cruise cable as in the pic, I may have given you the long procedure for what could be a quick job.
With this style I have disconnected the cruise wire at the lower end of the column and attatched a single wire to it, then twist the handle to the left (forward if you're seated) and pull it ( sharp pull) out of the column.
Pull up till the end of the cruise wire is out of the column, then remove your single wire ( that you connected earlier), connect the single wire to the new switch cruise wire and pull the other end of the wire to feed in the new one.
When the lever is close to the switch in the column, line up the tab on the end of the lever shaft with the switch in the column, also line up the outer (plastic) tab on the handle with the switch and push it into place.
Reconnect your cruise wire and you're good to go.....If this is the type that you have, you'll know when you get the replacement part.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/C95EFA3C261E42189BDA4693A0B29736.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-15-2008, 12:21 AM

You were right on the money Chevy Lover, ( you too xmradioguy ) mine is exactly as the one pictured. Followed your advice and it was a snap to change...what a nice surprize..I expected to waste halfa day tearingdown the steering column but instead spent 30 mins. on it. Once again this site comes to the rescue...thanks guys.
Tom

Old 02-15-2008, 07:43 PM
BF Veteran

Glad to hear that it went smoothly for you.