1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Beginning Member
matclark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what to look for

hi, i am new to the s10 blazers. i looking to purchase a 91-94,,,what should i be looking out for? what things could be problems? etc...

Old 05-14-2008, 02:44 AM
ATP
ATP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: what to look for

Well commonly the 4X4 models 4WD is buggy and has problems, so check for that. Also electrical problems are common it seems like. The rest of the problems you want to look for are the ones youd look for in any other used vehicle. My .02 cents.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 AM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

please only post the same topic once. Thank you

Old 05-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

The following are thefirst things I found when my daughter gave me her 1991 S10 Blazer SUV 4x4 a few months ago. She bought it new in 1991 in Seattle and it was builtin Moraine Ohio.Check the AM/FM/Cassette receiver to see if it works. Good used ones are very rare and an aftermarket AM/FM/CD receiver and 4-speakers will cost you about $400.I won aperfect 1991 AM/FM/Cassette receiver on e-bay for $50 to replace theold one that was dead and I feel like I was very fortunate indeed.The console door hinge is plastic and is usually broken. The dash is plastic so look for broken parts, such as the glove box door.I have replaced all the door seals. Beside that, theBlazer was in unusually good condition for a 17 year old vehicle and the engine runs like a V8 with a perfect automatic transmission. The nicecondition of the paint on my Blazer is because my daughter lived in Seattle wherethe sun seldom shines, and if it does, it is not like the blazing sun and 110 degree temperatures inTexas where the Blazer is today.Cars from Washington state are usually in excellent condition with no rust and good paint. Fortunately, there were no Blazers built in any GMassembly plant in California.The GM assembly plantsin that state must usewater based paint which is gone within ten years.In Washington state, thestreets and highways are not covered with salt in the winter so rust is not aproblem forcars from that area.Contrary to what many people think, rain is not the cause of vehicle rust. The electrolsys between roadsalt and water is what eats up metal. Keep that inmind andnever buy a car from the northeast!

The Chevy Blazer 4x4 alloy wheels can be perfectly restored including clear coat for $100 each at WheelTechnologies, Inc.in Carrollton, Texas ( http://www.wheeltechnologies.com ) or new ones can be purchased for about $180 each from a aftermarket supplier. A dealer will stick you for the MSRP of $350 for a alloy wheel.Don't get mad at the Chevrolet dealershipcounterman, he is just doing his job.Some countermen will give you a 20% discount off MSRP.Unfortunately for us restorers,most 4x4 Chevy Blazersare sold to people whowant to see how fast they can destroy them.Maybe that is better for the restorers that people see how fast they can wreck 4x4 vehiclesbecause doing that will makemine worth more! LOL

Keeping a car outside on the Oregon and Washingtoncoast is the same askeeping it in a enclosed garage.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Starting Member
rdhack is an unknown quantity at this point

I just laughed outloud when I read your post.........If you ask me everything! I bought a 1991 in January taht had a almost perfect body. That's all that was perfect and that's why I discovered this site. Now about 1500.00 later in parts I am a happy camper. If I had not done the work myself it would have been over 3000.00.

So i guess it just depends on the individual vehicle. I love my Blazer now but have a lot of skinned knuckles.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Starting Member
curse is an unknown quantity at this point

carfax! cant stress that enough. Also service records are nice if you can find them.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not know what the brakes were like on The Blazer but I could hear the scrapers rubbing the front rotors. So today, Iordered apairof drilled and slotted R & L front rotors, purchased new rear brake drums, Ceramix brake pads, and riveted brake shoes from NAPA . NAPA tried to get the rotors locally but there areno drilled and slotted rotors for a 1991 S/T10 Blazer 4x4 in any NAPA store or warehouse within 400 miles of Texas.They had to order those rotorsfrom a NAPA warehouse in Modesto, CA.

I told myassociate that and he laughed and said he could get a pair of drilled and slotted rotors in a day. He called back in two hours after he made that remarkand told me to go ahead order the rotors from the NAPA warehouse inCalifornia. Those rotorsmust have just came off the shipfrom China. Theparts required for acomplete brake job for The Blazer will cost $600. I too had about $1500 in The Blazer before I decided to overhaul thebrakes.Now the investment is$2100in a vehicle that has a market value of $1700. That is OK, I have $56,000 invested in a1963 Pontiac 421 H.O. CatalinaSport Coupe that would bring about $15,000 at a no reserve classic car auction. I am obviously not in the used car business but I do like the work.