1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

What to look for in a used S10 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 11:26 AM
spiritwild is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to look for in a used S10 Blazer

Looking at a used 92 S10 Blazer today, are there any common things about this vehicle that I want to keep an eye out for ?

Any typical ailments that plagued this model style or year?

It's for my son, I drive a Ford Bronco II and I know that there are certain engines and model years that are
better for that style. Was just wondering if it's the same for this Chevy model

Thanks !
Tim

Old 01-26-2007, 08:12 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What to look for in a used S10 Blazer

All depends on the maintenance.
The 4.3 is a great engine and can hadle a bunch of abuse. Its 2 pistons short of its big brother the infamous 350 (5.7L). Just as strong and durable. Not unusual to get 200,000-300,000 miles out of them with tune ups and water pumps, starters, alternatorsonly.
Tranny is the same used by GM in all 1/2 ton and smaller turcks, vans, and SUVs.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:31 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

bring a scanner.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

make sure you check around the vavle covers and intake manifold for buildup and look underneath at the oil pan and tranni to check for leaks if the motor and undercarriage was steam cleaned then ask the seller if those things were there before cause if they weren't no leaks and no buildup of any kind then u will have a good buy on your hands check everything from that to codes take a test drive before u buy.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:22 PM
spiritwild is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I looked the thing over pretty good, no leaks, runs, sounds good, no leaks on or under the vehicle. only issue it has is the 4x4 will not deactivate by pushing the button.
I think it was engaged when I drove it because at sharp turns it was trying to counter torque the front end.
And it was also toed out a bit.

I've had that problem with my bronco, but it is manual and I'm not real familiar with dummy buttons if you will.
how can you disengage it if the button does not function properly ? Never owned an (auto) 4x4.

is there an archive on this forum to search through by keyword.

Thanks, Tim

Old 01-26-2007, 10:56 PM
alamantia is an unknown quantity at this point

First thing I would check is front end parts, ideler arm, tie rod ends ball joints, bring asmall jack if you have to. Other than that mine had a problem starting in the cold which I replaced the temp sensor in the manafold to no avail, once i replaced the ECM it ran great, and I had to put two fuel pumps in it in 4 years, other than that, just normal maintenance. I found out that the 4WD worked but it was binding, turns out it had 3.73's in teh front diff and 3.42's in the rear, i guess the previous owner blew the rear, and got a junk yard axle which was the wrong ratio.... but that was just my truck and it was a 2.8

Old 01-27-2007, 12:07 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what is broke.
Could be the switch, engagement motor, or vacuum system.
The most expensive is the engagement motor. roughly $350. the others are pretty cheap and easy to fix.
Or the front end is locked up because it is bound up. Try driving it in the grass/dirt forwards and backwards a couple truck lengths, then push the button and see what happens.

Sounds like a good truck. My son drives a '93 S10-Blazer and he loves it.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:06 AM
midajahlynn is an unknown quantity at this point

check fuse mine did same thang and i tryed the fuse $4.76 and now it works like a pro. i have 93

Old 01-27-2007, 02:53 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

i think one of the most common gripes with the early 90's 4.3 was the use of the remote oil filter and its oil cooler lines both to the pump and the rad. the stock fittings were of poor design, so doormans and other aftermarket manf. fitted tighter crimps on the lines to try and rectify. unfortunately as soon as those crimps were bent or mishandled they too failed and eventually brought back a slow oil leak.
i have a 92 tbi and am on my second set of lines in three years, but i dont have a set up for an internal cooler so i have to only worry about the one almost impossible to install line. naw its not really that hard but takes some twisting and turning to get in.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:45 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Do yourself a favor and check the lower panels for hidden rust, especially infront and behind the rear wheels on the underside where the inner and outer panels are welded together, basically the rocker panel weld thats under the vehicle.

Check the radiator, and the oil filter lines(if its a 4x4). I have a 92 Ive had for a year now, I wish i woulda checked the welds due to unforseen rot but its a great truck, Im happy with it.