2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer bad water/coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:07 PM
joshbrandy is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer bad water/coolant leak

My 97 Chevy blazer has a bad water/coolant leak. As soon as i pour water in the radiator (with out the truck running) it starts to have a steady stream of water leaking from the bottom of the truck. I followed the leak as far as i could see and it looks to be coming from the back part of the engine, more towards the top of it. Would that be the freeze plugs or the intake manifold gasket? I have read and research this for weeks and could not find any answer that i felt addressed my problem. Because the leak is so steady and it is not a dripping or slow leak not sure if that would help differ where its coming from. Thank you for the help with this.

Josh

Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Get a mechanics mirror with a swivel head and a light. Check the back corners of the intake manifold. If it is leaking that bad you should see it.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:05 AM

Thank you, I got the mirror and traced the "river" leak all the way back to the top, front of the engine, behind the EGR hose. But now i cant tell if it is leaking from the intake gasket or the head gasket? any ideas? I attached a picture with a red circle showing where the leak is. I cant take credit for the picture, i got it off this site. thank you

Attached Thumbnails 97 Blazer bad water/coolant leak-intake4.jpg  
Old 12-09-2009, 11:44 AM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by joshbrandy
Thank you, I got the mirror and traced the "river" leak all the way back to the top, front of the engine, behind the EGR hose. But now i cant tell if it is leaking from the intake gasket or the head gasket? any ideas? I attached a picture with a red circle showing where the leak is. I cant take credit for the picture, i got it off this site. thank you
The red circle is where the intake gasket is. The head gasket is down by the long silver bolt below the hand in the picture.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 AM

Thank you, I will get started on it this weekend.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:54 PM
blumpie is on a distinguished road

I am having a similar issue. I used "Stop Leak" about 2 years go, but the problem has resurfaced.

How did your service go? Was it a PIA? I'm hoping I can knock it out in an afternoon.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 AM

It took me about two weeks to finish the job, mainly because i could only do about a hour or two a night. The problem was a blown intake manifold gasket. So i replaced it along with most of the other gaskets. The problem seems to be fixed now. It holds coolant and is not overheating now. Let me know if i can help you out any other way. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:33 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

it is a PITA done mine last summer.