2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer trouble accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 12:50 AM
sully is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 Blazer trouble accelerating

I have a 98 Blazer (180k), meticulosly taken care off, all highway miles. This problem just recently started and it is intermitent. I am driving and then I am unable to accelerate. I push the pedal all the way down, the rpm's still go up but the vehicle does not accelerate. It starts to slow down. I am still able to drive but at a very slow speed (15 - 20 mph). I try this in all gears except reverse, does not correct the problem. But if I shut the vehicle off and restart it, the problem goes away. Any ideas???

Old 06-05-2005, 06:00 PM
K5Carnage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 98 Blazer trouble accelerating

Sounds like a transmission clutch issue

Old 06-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This actually sounds like a torque converter issue. How is it on off the line acceleration? It is possible that the torque converter is working ok up until it hits lockup.

When was the last time that you had the transmission serviced? The general rule of thumb is to have a fluid/filter change every 50,000 miles. With as high of mileage that you have, I would not suggest flushing the transmission as it may cause internal seals to leak. I would try changing the trans filter and fluid (Dextron III fluid only) and see how it feels after that is done.

A quick test you can do to see if you need to change the trans fluid is smell the oil on the trans dipstick when you pull it. If it smells burnt and/or looks brown instead of red, you'll want to get that stuff out of there ASAP!

Old 06-07-2005, 10:59 PM
sully is an unknown quantity at this point

I checked the trans oil, it does not smell burnt and it has a red color to it. The Blazer is an Automatic. I have not had the problem since 3 days ago. The blazer accelerates fine off the line. Why would turning the Blazer off when the problem is occuring and restarting it fix the problem???

Old 06-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I must have over looked the restart temporary fix when I first read over your post. It reminds me of a problem that plagued the Chrysler 42LE transmission. That particular transmission (found in the Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision, Chrysler 300M, Chrysler Concorde...) had a nasty little limp home mode that would only give you park, reverse, neutral, and 2nd gear if the transmission computer sensed any one of numerous problems. It was very annoying.

I am wondering if there is something similar (but much more liveable) in the programming of these transmissions...? You might want to just take it into the dealership and have them scan for codes in the TCM (transmission control module). You may have an underlying problem that isn't easily fixed by a do-it-yourself-er.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:09 AM
chevylane2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just please don't destroy the chevelle. My first car was a 71 model so I am a little touchy when someone talks about doing anything to one.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: chevylane2003

Just please don't destroy the chevelle. My first car was a 71 model so I am a little touchy when someone talks about doing anything to one.
Woah!.. Who said anything about destroying a Chevelle? Mine will be a fine specimen when I get done with it. It isn't a true SS so I plan on having the drivetrain be what I want it to be. Out go the factory small block, TH350, and 10-bolt.

Back to the original thread topic... Any updates?