2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Air bag Sensor Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 04:16 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Air bag Sensor Mounting

Hi all,

I'm posting this so that anyone else who has to do this will learn from my mistakes.

When mounting a replacement airbag (SIR) sensor, I (eventually) followed what I learned from blazen_red_4x4. He used rivet nuts to fill the holes that the original rivets used. (post #4 at https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...nt-part-97163/)

The ones I used came from a Harbor Freight kit that includes the tool for installing them. www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

A couple of hints to help you.
  • The size of the rivet is about 0.250" OD sized for a 10-24 machine screw.
  • To change the head on the HF rivet tool, note that the part of the insert that attaches to the arm that you squeeze is reverse threaded!
  • You can also get metric versions of the tool and rivets. It just so happens it was the HF tool that was nearby. If you can wait a few days, you might order online a better quality too, steel rivets, and ones that are metric.
I originally thought I could use bolts but the mounting holes are ones that you can only access from the bottom, at least easily.
I also tried using 3/16" rivets but those did not expand enough.
There are 1/4" rivets that are the proper fastener to use but they can be hard to find and I'm guessing most hand rivet tools will lack the die that can accommodate the size of the shaft.

Oh yes, if you are looking for the right part number, look at an online OEM parts distributor to find out which years used the same part. If my memory serves me correctly, the left front airbag sensor is the same on 1998-2005 Blazers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by christine_208; 08-06-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:03 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

We use them a lot to replace riveted parts in order to become replaceable. Over here we call them by the manufacturers brand "Tubtara".

There are several systems from large riveting levers to small handheld. Once improvised a setting with washers and a long bolt.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:50 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Christine for posting a useful info again. You're always few step ahead on a similar path
Last days I've turned my first 100miles after an engine swap. Yesterday I've successfully completed AC fix and fixed the cluster fuel gauge. Today been greasing the fittings. I do have the airbag system indicating a problem (sth like "..36" code or so). I am going to do the troubleshooting later on. I found the electric diagrams posted very helpful.
As for the relaxing, joy time, I got myself an airbrush and I am doing the interior detailing. I am not in a rush to get under the car over again...
I appreciate Your posts.
Brgds, Mike

Old 08-07-2018, 01:11 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Thanks Christine for posting a useful info again. You're always few step ahead on a similar path
Last days I've turned my first 100miles after an engine swap. Yesterday I've successfully completed AC fix and fixed the cluster fuel gauge. Today been greasing the fittings. I do have the airbag system indicating a problem (sth like "..36" code or so). I am going to do the troubleshooting later on. I found the electric diagrams posted very helpful.
As for the relaxing, joy time, I got myself an airbrush and I am doing the interior detailing. I am not in a rush to get under the car over again...
I appreciate Your posts.
Brgds, Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the nice comments. As I've likely said before, I like to think I'm "paying it forward" for the help I've received from others when I submit what I hope will be useful posts.

Being in Europe, you might have a harder time finding a replacement sensor at a wrecking yard. I found them on eBay, new for $160.00 which I hope I don't have to resort to buying.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:51 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Glad my resourcefulness can help others out, I just had left over threaded rivets from installing the brackets for my light bar on my roof and figured "why not give it a try" lol

To add, I would suggest you use some sort of lock-tite or split washers. You don't want those sensors wiggling around or completely dropping off and flopping around while you're driving... Probably why they were riveted from the factory to start with...

Old 08-09-2018, 12:11 AM
odat will become famous soon enough

well you got the nut certs at harbor freight, they also carry 1/4'' pop rivets and the application tool. yup I own one. I think the tool was $19.99 and a 100 1/4'' rivets was $10.00 or so. Tool has other heads with it for other size rivets. However being china product harbor freight rivets fit the tool the best, other rivets will work and set well but sometimes not quite right when the pulled rivet shaft leaves the tool.