2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bad computer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Beginning Member
Walleye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bad computer?

I was driving my 1995 4 door S10 Blazer 6 cyclinder Vortex home on a highway going the speed limit. The check engine light came on, and suddenly, it lost power and started to vibrate. I seemd to be missing on 2 or 3 cyclinders. It began smoking and stinking. The danged thing went through a full tank of gas in 25 miles. The oil and coolant levels were just fine. What gives? Could this be caused by the computer?

Old 05-03-2006, 12:42 AM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Bad computer?

Lots of reasons, but if you'll come back with the codes read out of your puter, we may be able to help.

Your 95 will take quite a code reader that costs big bucks. At least from what I've read. Older version can be read out by many parts stores but if I were you I would call around them and ask them. Be sure to tell them the model and year of your car. I believe its an OBD2 (Or On Board Diagnostics second version.)

If it becomes possible to get the codes to the forum, we stand a chance?

Old 05-03-2006, 03:51 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

1995 was a difficult year for On Board Diagnostics GM was changing to the new ODBII for 1996 and some 95's were included in the change over others that were not were ODBI or ODBI.5 so you will have to determine which one you have by the vin # and if any tags have a date of manufacture use that.

AutoZone has been known for checking ODB computer codes on vehicles that can be checked.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, very early model year '95s will still be OBD1 and easily read by jumpering the the DLC (although I cannot remember the specific pins to jumper at the moment). The vast majority of '95s are OBD1.5, a kind of mix of OBD1 and OBD2. The OBD1.5 used some (but not all) OBD2 protocols but still used the OBD1 DLC. Autozone, Advanced, etc will have trouble reading an OBD1.5 computer.

10 to 1 you have an OBD1.5 computer.

If you are burning through a full tank of gas in 25 miles, I would think there would be a fuel leak (common problem with the CPI motors), but the fuel normally makes its way to the oil and fills the crank case. Do you have anything dripping from the exhaust?

It is possible that your catalytic converter has clogged, although I do not believe they clog up that fast unless the element just broke loose and packed up at the back of the cat case. What does the pipe before the cat and the cat case look like. If there is some extreme heat discoloration, you've most likely got a clogged cat.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Beginning Member
Walleye is an unknown quantity at this point

My computer and cat were fine. It turns out it was my fuel pressure valve. They had to replace the injector manifold (the thing that looks like an actopus that ports the gas from to the cyclinders)....about 800 bucks..all told.