2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Changing the Turn Signal Switch in 98 blzr

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 05:46 AM
WyteNyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing the Turn Signal Switch in 98 blzr

Hi..im new to this site...but anyways....I recently encountered a problem where my wipers stay on all the time and wont shut off...the switch is screwed up......so now i have a new turn signal switch.....the problem is..i dont exactly know how to get the switch out.....i took the cover off of the steering column..and i have the signal in sight...i was hoping i didnt have to take the steering wheel off in order to take the switch out...but from the looks..there might be 1 bolt, or 2 ....where i think i might have to remove the steering wheel, to get to them.....so my question is..has anybody ever done this??...and do i need to take the steering wheel off in ordering to get that switch out??...and if i do have to take the steering wheel off..is there an easy way to do that??..anybody who has a comment..i appreciate it a lot..becuase as of right now..im kinda frustrated..and i really dont have the money to take it to the dealer.....

And BTW..its a 98 blazer s10..fully loaded.....

Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Default RE: Changing the Turn Signal Switch in 98 blzr

anyone???

Old 02-13-2006, 02:26 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

The seering wheel does not need to be pulled. disconnect your battery first then disconnect the air bag. With a little convincing the harness can be removed. I replaced mine on my '01 Impala in a few hours.

Old 02-16-2006, 02:22 PM

well thanks for the info i guess...but i would say an impala might be a lil different from a blazer...idk..but does anybody else have anything on this subject??

Old 02-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Multifunction, Turn Signal and Hazard Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to SIR Handling Caution in Service Precautions.
[ol][*]Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in Air Bag Systems. [*]Ensure the turn signal lever on the multifunction switch is in the neutral position or the off position. [*]Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators. [*]Loosen the steering column bracket nuts. [*]Remove the steering column upper and lower trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle. [*]Remove the 2 wire harness straps from the steering column wire harness. [*]Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer from the auto trans shift lock control. [*]Disconnect the steering column bulkhead connector from the vehicle wire harness. [*]Disconnect the gray and the black connectors of the switch from the column bulkhead connector. [*]Remove the multifunction switch to the steering column mounting screws. [*]Remove the multifunction turn signal/hazard switch.
[/ol]

REFER To the first picture for the removal and installation of the multifunction switch

Installation Procedure
[ol][*]Install the multifunction turn signal/hazard switch.[*]Use a small blade screwdriver in order to compress the electrical contact. Move the multifunction switch into the position. [*]Ensure the electrical contact rests on the canceling cam assembly.[*]Install the multifunction switch to steering column mounting screws.[*]Tighten the multifunction switch mounting screws to 6 Nm (53 inch lbs.) .[*]Install the connectors of the switch to the column bulkhead connector. [*]Install the steering column bulkhead connector to the vehicle wire harness. [*]Install the connector and the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer to the auto trans shift lock control. [*]Install the 2 wire straps on the steering column wire harness. [*]Install the steering column upper and lower trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle. [*]Install the steering column bracket nuts.[*]Tighten the steering column bracket nuts to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs.) .[*]Install the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators. [*]Ensure the lever is in the center or the OFF position. [*]Enable the SIR System. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in Air Bag Systems.
[/ol]

SIR System disable/enable proceedure:
Disabling the SIR System
[ol][*]Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead. [*]Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position. [*]Remove the key from the ignition switch. IMPORTANT: With the SIR Fuse removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, The AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction. [*]Remove the SIR Fuse from the IP fuse block. [*]Remove the left sound insulator, if equipped. [*]Remove the knee bolster.[*]Disconnect the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column. [*]Open the IP compartment door, lift stop and allow door to fully open. [*]Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) from the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.[*]Disconnect the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.[/ol]

REFER To pictures 2 & 3 for the position of the Airbag connections.

Enabling the SIR System
[ol][*]Remove the key from the ignition switch.[*]Connect the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box. [*]Install the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) to the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box. [*]Close the IP compartment door.[*]Connect the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering

Old 02-16-2006, 04:49 PM

ty ty....its a little techy...a couple unfamiliar words...but....i didnt see anything about steering wheel removal....just steering column...so hmmm...i guess thats a good thing... i will see what i can do..but thanks...i guess...

Old 02-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Geez... You complain when it isn't vehicle specific and now you complain when you get the EXACT proceedure. Wow.

Anyway, I haven't done this on a Blazer and that is why I stated the exact steps. You will have to remove the hush panel under the dash, remove the steering column trim pieces and you should see the switch.

The airbag disable is up to you. I would disable it if I were doing the work.

If you don't feel comfortable with directions listed above, post up with your questions on what is what. It really isn't that difficult.

I'd start by just taking the trim panels off. You'd be surprised and how easy that is - acouple screws and it's apart. You might run into a few torx screws, but other than that, no special tools should be required.