2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Desperately seeking HELP with Stalling Issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Blazerqueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Desperately seeking HELP with Stalling Issue!!!

I have read practically all of the forums on stalling issues, but cant find a true solution. I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer, 4x4, V6, 4DR, w/ close to 96,000 miles.I was not having any problems with my Blazer stalling up until 2.5 weeks ago, when we went to go and fill up a 50 gallon gas tank at Wal-Mart and it turned out the gas had lots of water/junk in it, and gas tank itself, which is my dads, had not been used in 2 years! Wediscovered the Fuel Filter on his 50 gallon tank wasnt working properly!We didnt take a good look at the gas, until after the Blazer started stalling. It doesnt stall right off the bat, you can drive it up to 15 miles and we have even test drove it for 60 miles round trip. Sometimes during our test drives it never stalls until the next time you drive the vehicle. Once it does begin to stall it starts happening in closer increments, like every 3 minutes, and even more so on inclines.After each stall, itstarts right up, each and every time!! We have changed the FuelFilter from the original to, (2) more new Fuel Filters. After replacing the first Fuel Filter, and it stalled again, we went to go and look at the Fuel Filter, tho, it was only 2 days old, it had alot of junk/water in it and the gas came out extremely dirty, so we went and bought a second Fuel Filter, and drained all the gas from the Plasticgas tank on the Blazer, to try to remove all the water/junk from the gas the best that we could, Fuel Pump, seemed to work properly, we could hear the motor going with out any struggling. My dad, believed the pressure to the Fuel Pump, wasnt as strong as he believed it should have been. We then took it fora 60 mile test drive, roundtrip, and we believed it to be fixed, until I drove it the next day to run into town, the Blazer, stalled in the bank drive-thru. We replaced the Spark Plugs and Wires, as well, thinking that may be the reason, they were the originals as well, and they were very bad. When it stalls the Check Gages light blinks slowly and the battery light comes on, I am unsure if this is a normal reaction in stalling.For the last 4 months, we keep getting a trouble code P0410, and have replaced the air filter 2 times, thinking it was from all the dust from driving on country gravel roads. This code comes on every great once in a while, usually in 1-2 month increments, we drove from KS to MS, and nothing happened until after our move and we had been in MS, for5 weeks before it came on again, we dont really think there is anything wrong with the smog pump, just a trip in the system, my husband clears the code, and we wait to see how much longer it takes for the Check Engine light to come on again. Could this be related to the stalling issue, if there is a smog pump problem? I am at a loss, not wanting to keep replacing parts, any suggestions would help tremendously. I dont want to have to get rid of it, if it will possibly be an easy fix, not to mention CHEAP!!! I only have a few days to get the Blazer up and running due to my husband being an over-the-road truckdriver, he and Ican try to work on it some more before he leaves out again for 4-6 weeks. I am definitely DESPERATE, at finding the issue, PLEASE HELP, will accept any/all advice. Also, is there a way to do a checklist on testing your Fuel Injectors, in case, anyone believes this to be the cause? Thank You for any thoughts you may have on my post!!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Desperately seeking HELP with Stalling Issue!!!

If you think it is a fuel supply problem, then you have to start with a fuel pressure test. You must use a fuel pressure gauge connected to the fuel pressure test port on top of the engine.

If you have enough junk in the tank to cause noticeable contamination in the fuel filter after only 2 days, then you really should drop the tank. There is a sock on the bottom of the pump that screens out larger particles that could damage the pump.

Black crap in the filter could be signs that the pump is eating itself alive.

*EDIT* - for information regarding the P0410 code, CLICK HERE.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Blazerqueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Desperately seeking HELP with Stalling Issue!!!

Thank You for your quick response, I will purchase a fuel pressure gauge, ASAP. Any recommendations for which would be the best gauge to buy?

Do you have any thoughts at all, thatthere may be a problem with the fuel injectors? They are expensive, and I am just trying to narrow down possibilities of what could be the cause of the stalling as well as the money spent on parts.

As far as the black junk in the Fuel Filter, YES, there was alot of it in the original and the 1st new Fuel Filter, but we werent sure if that was from my dads 50 gallon gas tank or the gas tank on the Blazer, but we will be taking the gas tank and the fuel pump off to check the sock on the Fuel Pump. What if all of the black substance is actually from the 50 gallon gas tank and not the Blazer? What can we do to rectify the bad gas in the vehicles fuel lines? Is there anything that may come to mind of what could be wrong, in case all of the black junk isnt from the Fuel Pump, possibly eating itself alive?

I ask this, because my husband went to go fill his Jeep up last night, from the 50 gallon tank, and he was personally filtering out the floaters and water in the gas from the 50 gallon tank, and the gas didnt look to clear, and I was wondering, I know you would have to see it personnally, but do you think all the junk and water from the gas we didnt filter out in my dads 50 gallon tank is causing a big issue with the stalling?

Before we went to go and place the 2nd replacement Fuel Filter on we drained the tank to less then 1/4 tank, and went and put new gas in it from a different gas station, what may be your views on this ordeal?

I deeply appreciate any and all feedback, Thank You again!!