2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front brake replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 06:39 AM
Anthony Shaffer is on a distinguished road
Smile Front brake replacement.

Hey good day everyone, not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this. I am having difficulty in the categories as I am a new member.
The other day I set out to replace the front brakes and rotors on my 96 four-wheel-drive blazer, I was wondering if anyone knew the size Allen wrench I need to remove the caliper. Thank you in advance
Anthony

Old 07-10-2016, 05:27 PM

Found out it is a 3/8 Allen, in case anyone else comes to this hurdle as well while replacing brakes/rotors.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:43 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

They make a specialty tool that you can get at most auto parts stores for this that goes on a ratchet

Old 07-10-2016, 08:00 PM

Thanks richphotos, stopped by pepboys earlier and picked one up.

Last edited by Anthony Shaffer; 07-10-2016 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 07-10-2016, 08:19 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You are welcome. Its a handy thing to have.
My 2004 Trailblazer does not use those but I still am holding onto mine from when I had the first gens just in case.
We can never have enough tools

Old 07-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to 2nd gen Tech*

Old 07-11-2016, 09:38 AM

I have came across a problem, passenger-side swap went great. The upper housing bolt on the driver side is not coming loose. I don't want to keep playing with it and it end up stripping it out. I already had a buddy drive me to get replacement bolts. Yet I still can't get the one out. Any suggestions?

Old 07-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Anthony Shaffer
I have came across a problem, passenger-side swap went great. The upper housing bolt on the driver side is not coming loose. I don't want to keep playing with it and it end up stripping it out. I already had a buddy drive me to get replacement bolts. Yet I still can't get the one out. Any suggestions?
While you're at the parts store getting the replacement bolts, go over to the tool section and find a Torx bit (the kind that fit on your ratchets) that's just a little bigger than the hex hole in the bolts. IIRC, it will be in the T50-T60 range, maybe T55 or T57. If you don't have a big hammer, get one of those as well. Some PB blaster is a good idea, too.

Spray the bolt down with PB Blaster, and if you can get to the back side of the hole, spray that side as well. Hammer the big Torx bit into the old, stripped bolt. Hammer it way in, to the full depth of the socket in the cap. Then, when you can't hammer it in any further, put the ratchet on it and hope it turns. When you're done, throw the bolt and the Torx bit away. Don't ever use that Torx bit in a Torx fastener after hammering it into a stripped hex cap bolt, that Torx bit is ruined and will strip any Torx fastener you put it into.

Ah, and to prevent this in the future, apply aluminum anti-seize to the bolts when you resintall them. Also, whenever you encounter a hex cap ("allen") bolt on brakes, suspension or engine parts, thoroughly clean the socket out before putting the key/wrench in it, and it's best to get the key all the way in to full depth (use a hammer to tap it in gently).

Last edited by Racer_X; 07-11-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the advice Racer_X, I plan to stop at the auto store tomorrow to pick up a torx. I really appreciate your input. So pleased to have found this forum. Take care everyone ��