2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel leak above spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:06 PM
aypapi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel leak above spare tire

Hi all,

I just had the fuel pump replaced on a Blazer 96 4.3L and the day after it started leaking gas from above the spare tire. It leaks to the point that pressure will not reach enough to keep the engine on. I removed the tire and there it was, this little black box with a large fuel line and an electrical connector. I just don't know what in the world is that little box, and don't know what to ask for at Autozone. Can anyone please help me ???? Thanx.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fuel leak above spare tire

Sounds to me like it's your charcoal canister, but I'd have to pull up some schematics to be sure.

Do you often fill your tank up to the max?

Old 02-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

I would almost have to say the installion of your fuel pump was done wrong. The fuel lines come off the top of the tank and then go forward to the engine, with nothing but the filter in the line also. That black box sounds to me like the evap canister vent valve.and the only way that fuel will come out of that is if the tank is very, very overfilled, or the lines possibly installed wrong. Is there only one line going to this box? If yes then what I stated earlier is correct. Korey.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was also thinking it could be that the retaining ring for the fuel pump was installed wrong and it is just fuel leaking out to the location where it is being found.

*EDIT* - Here's the schematic for the EVAP system with the valve that Kordog is talking about. If you continually over fill the gas tank, the charcoal canister can fill up with fuel and pour out like you describe.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:47 AM
psyco1887 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a question that is kind of related to this topic.[/align]iam having a problem with my fuel tank and the evaporative box thing.[/align]my truck wouldn't let me pump any gas.[/align]and i found out that my tank wasn't releasing pressure. so i tried to remove all the lines and see where the clog was and i never found one.[/align]i gave up and decided i would take it to my mechannic friend in the morning.[/align]the only problem is now it will not start.[/align]i turn the key and it tries to start'[/align]but just dies right after i let go of the key.[/align]help [/align]