2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HEADLIGHT LEVELING

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:00 PM
NYBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HEADLIGHT LEVELING

i needed to change a bulb on a 1998 blazer, so went to pep boys bought the correct bulb 9006 hb4 by sylvania, (old one was philips). I installed the bulb the correct way, by removing those 2 latches, removing the headlight unit and installed the bulb. Now my problem is that the light beam point up, and as im driving it points toward buildings and every car im in front of the beams hit the drivers in their rearviews. Before this bulb went out everything was fine. Are there leveling brackets on these blazer?

ur input is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: HEADLIGHT LEVELING

There are quite a few posts on this subject, so I'm going to have to point to the search function on the menu bar at the top of the screen...

You will want to make sure that you have your headlight housings fully seated into the slots on the bottom or this can happen. If the tabs on the housings are not in the slots for the lower support, then they will point high. You do not want to adjust them until you know for sure that the housings are installed correctly. You will not change the adjustment by simply swapping out the bulbs unless you broke something in the process.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: HEADLIGHT LEVELING

Make sure the bulbs fits into the housing itself too!! Nice and flat

Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Beginning Member
jackdaroofer is on a distinguished road
Default headlight adjust

On my recently purchased '05. headlights have been my only concern

They are pointing all wrong and it is difficult driving on very dark or porly marked roads.

Low beam on passenger side is hitting the ground about 25 feet out front and is aimed at the middle of the road. Curbs, etc on right side are invisible

Low beam on driver side is pointing higher, but also mostly at the middle of the road although it does illuminate some things on left, out about thirty or 40 feet.

High beams, driver side throws a lot of light high and to left, right side might as well be burned out...it isn't

It is curious that I drive a dark two lane road with high beams on and no one coming the other way seems to get upset

I just bought a pair of Sil Star ultras to install tomorrow.

I did the search for headlight adjustment and found this thread.

So it is possible that existing bulbs are installed wrong?

I'll be careful to be sure new ones fit as described here

But what if that isn't the answer? Is their a way to "adjust" the lights or the frames?

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I find

seeya

Old 11-14-2009, 11:36 AM

Holy Old Thread Batman!!! When you do go to change the bulbs make sure when you are taking it apart that everything is in the slots and everything else in this thread is correct, if you follow this thread and are still off then I would say you need to adjust your headlights.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah wow... Over 2 years old...

There are adjustments to correct alignment. Up/down and left right for each light.

THIS THREAD is much more informative.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Beginning Member
jackdaroofer is on a distinguished road
Smile

The power of SEARCH Thanks Dabber and Swartikk

Everything y'all said was right on

The housing on the passenger side was secured with just one hook/slide and bulb on driver side was not flush/square, one of three tabs was above the flange

Installed the SS Ultras and just came back from a night ride...awesome

Thanks guys

Old 11-14-2009, 11:19 PM

Good to know it all worked out for ya!!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Starting Member
Katmandu is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Yeah wow... Over 2 years old...

There are adjustments to correct alignment. Up/down and left right for each light.

THIS THREAD is much more informative.
Search feature is great!

BTW, the thread above doesn't show where the screws are located for the adjustment. I just tells about getting the tabs in the slots correctly.

On a 99, does the up/down adjustment screw use and small hex/allen key ? Mine is pretty corroded and it's hard to see.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:22 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Use a socket to adjust them. Stock housings should have what looks like a torx bit sticking up and one pointing forward that are used for adjusting. I followed the manual procedure to align headlights that was in my Auto Tech book. You may be able to find it online, also. All you need is a flat wall, a tape measure, some electrical tape to mark off the wall, and 15 or 20 mins.