2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help, Cut Fuel Line Replacing the Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Beginning Member
Beach_Bum is on a distinguished road
Default Help, Cut Fuel Line Replacing the Fuel Filter

Hi All and Merry Xmas.

I decided to replace my fuel filter since have been experiencing issues with starting the car (crank no start) after it sits for days. I've only been driving the Blazer once every few weeks or so of late, as a winter beater.

The car is an '01, 2dr 4WD LS.

Got under car and was getting the filter to turn with the 21mm wrench but what I didn't know is that after a while the 16mm side was stripped and turning with it. So eventually the fuel line with an inch of the male fitting turned and twisted off.

I think this is a fairly easy fix with some pipe fittings? Please tell me this is the case?

Basically I could use some advice? Does anyone know what size pipe it is? How far from the filter should I cut the pipe to put the fitting in. I guess that depends on how long the pipe with the male thread is, right?

Should I buy the pipe materials from say Home Depot, or everything from an auto parts store?

I was worried sick that I just ended my hope of DIY repair on this old car, cause I'm at point I can't really throw more money into it. But a quick youtube search at least makes it appear this happens enough where there is a fix.

Here's a pic of the old fuel filter with the twisted pipe end.

Also while at it. The car seems to not start when it's wet out or when it's been sitting for awhile. But once it does start say a few days after that (if it's dry) it then runs fine, and will continue to run if using it every day.

The battery obviously drains when cranking too much and not starting, so I had it recharged for free at Auto Zone after the latest mishap and sure enough after putting back in it started. The battery was tested and is fine.

I think I may have low fuel pressure, but haven't verified this by testing. The fuel pump I believe was replaced like 6-7 years ago, I can hear it go on when the car starts.

Once the pipe fitting is fixed and new filter put on. Say I continue to experience this occasional crank no-start. You guys think next best option is test the fuel pressure? Someone mentioned to me it may be the starter or spark plug, so maybe check this first? I also read elsewhere it could be ignition, but this seems doubtful.

Thanks all for the advice.

Attached Thumbnails Help, Cut Fuel Line Replacing the Fuel Filter-stuld4g.jpg  
Old 12-25-2015, 12:55 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

I redid mine with parts from Napa. The press in fittings don't work, use the compression ones.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:03 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Beach_Bum
Hi All and Merry Xmas.

I decided to replace my fuel filter since have been experiencing issues with starting the car (crank no start) after it sits for days. I've only been driving the Blazer once every few weeks or so of late, as a winter beater.

The car is an '01, 2dr 4WD LS.

Got under car and was getting the filter to turn with the 21mm wrench but what I didn't know is that after a while the 16mm side was stripped and turning with it. So eventually the fuel line with an inch of the male fitting turned and twisted off.

I think this is a fairly easy fix with some pipe fittings? Please tell me this is the case?

Basically I could use some advice? Does anyone know what size pipe it is? How far from the filter should I cut the pipe to put the fitting in. I guess that depends on how long the pipe with the male thread is, right?

Should I buy the pipe materials from say Home Depot, or everything from an auto parts store?

I was worried sick that I just ended my hope of DIY repair on this old car, cause I'm at point I can't really throw more money into it. But a quick youtube search at least makes it appear this happens enough where there is a fix.

Here's a pic of the old fuel filter with the twisted pipe end.

Also while at it. The car seems to not start when it's wet out or when it's been sitting for awhile. But once it does start say a few days after that (if it's dry) it then runs fine, and will continue to run if using it every day.

The battery obviously drains when cranking too much and not starting, so I had it recharged for free at Auto Zone after the latest mishap and sure enough after putting back in it started. The battery was tested and is fine.

I think I may have low fuel pressure, but haven't verified this by testing. The fuel pump I believe was replaced like 6-7 years ago, I can hear it go on when the car starts.

Once the pipe fitting is fixed and new filter put on. Say I continue to experience this occasional crank no-start. You guys think next best option is test the fuel pressure? Someone mentioned to me it may be the starter or spark plug, so maybe check this first? I also read elsewhere it could be ignition, but this seems doubtful.

Thanks all for the advice.
You can buy a 3/8 compression kit from napa.You will want to cut the line back so you`ll have enough room to work with.Use a small tubing cutter to cut the pipe back.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:16 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Toocute350
You can buy a 3/8 compression kit from napa.You will want to cut the line back so you`ll have enough room to work with.Use a small tubing cutter to cut the pipe back.
Well the repair kit hasn't worked as planned. I have so little room to work with before the fuel line turns upwards along the frame, this makes fitting the pipe to the fuel filter a challenge.

My bigger issue is that the existing fuel line where it twisted and cut, and after making a clean cut like half an inch back of this with a pipe cutter. The compression fitting and washer do not fit over the fuel line. It may be a bit rusted and corroded causing the 3/8th to have swelled a bit and can't slip the pieces over.

So my alternative per Napa recommendation is a pressurized rubber tube with two metal clamps. Is run this over and on top of the fuel line to where I can clamp it tight, then run it to the piece connecting to fuel filter, and clamp down.

I'll probably use 4-6" of tubing. Does anyone think this is an okay solution? Will this not work?

What a freaking nightmare, all to change a stupid fuel filter.

Please advise.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:41 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

I think the rubber hose is fine for a quick fix, but not long term as it will leak. Rubber hose fuel line worked okay with fuel pressures of 3-5 psi....but fuel injection pumps run 60 - 70 psi if not more and the hose will begin to leak at the connections.

If possible can you replace a longer piece of fuel line and find where there is no or little corrosion and make the cut there. Probably going to have to do some bending of new line to match old line.

I do not know if LMC truck carries pre-bent fuel lines for these vehicles or not....but you might take a look.

And I soooo know what you mean...."freaking nightmare, all to change a stupid fuel filter"....been there....

Good luck.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:35 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

A quick polishing with 220 grit sandpaper should clean up the line to get the compression fitting on it. The line goes to the top of the frame rail and is held in place with plastic clips, pop the line out of them and work from the out side of the frame. the other lines in the plastic clips are rear brakes, fuel return, and vent to the charcoal canister. If they're rusted pretty bad, plan on changing them soon.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:19 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Only get pre bent from dealership

Old 01-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Beginning Member

I went with Lanny's advice and opted to not use a rubber hose. Instead I found a 90 degree angled piece at Napa that at first I thought wouldn't work...while one side goes into the fuel filter the other side tapered from the 3/8th down a notch.

But a week ago one evening when we finally had 32+ temps I got under the car and tried it out, the tapered part fit into the compression fitting and I was able to lock into the 3/8th width part of the arm. At first I fit it, turned the car on, and fuel was leaking. I wasn't a happy camper. So got back under, gave the compression fitting a nice extra tightening on each side and prayed.

At this point it worked, no more leak, new fuel filter in. Car is starting, and my winter beater is back while my 2015 Chevy SS sits in the garage!!!

Thanks for the help guys. Here are a few pics of the final piece. Car is pretty rusty eh?!? The silver marks behind it on the frame are from the end of my hacksaw when I was up and over trying to cut the fuel line further up the line. It took a bit but worked out.

Attached Thumbnails Help, Cut Fuel Line Replacing the Fuel Filter-sh07rqu.jpg   Help, Cut Fuel Line Replacing the Fuel Filter-uapjqlf.jpg  
Old 01-22-2016, 04:42 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

awesome, good job