2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need help locating and replacing a fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Beginning Member
radiorara is on a distinguished road
Default Need help locating and replacing a fuel filter

I have a 1996 Blazer LS 4dr 4wd. I have read different things concerning where the filter is located, for instance under the drivers side on the frame rail, under the passenger side on the frame rail, and behind the rear axel.

Can anyone confirm any of these location? Also what tools, if any, do I need to change the fuel filter? Thanks

Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 PM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

It looks like a small soda can and should be located under the drivers side door. Follow the metal fuel lines from the tank to it. Very easy to get to and replace.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Beginning Member
radiorara is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rob44_90
It looks like a small soda can and should be located under the drivers side door. Follow the metal fuel lines from the tank to it. Very easy to get to and replace.
Thanks. I'm gonna get one from the store tomorrow so I should be able to spot it right away then. Do I need any kind of special wrench?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

No special wrench. I don't remember what size you need but I remember the bolt on the engine side of the filter can be a little bit of a pain to get off or it was for me. The lines might have pressure in them so when you pull it off be careful about your eyes. If I remember correctly you are supposed to open your gas cap befor you change it.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 PM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

I got this from ehow.com

Step 1) Locate the fuel filter under the drivers inside the frame of the vehicle. You will see a silver cylinder that is attached to the fuel line attached to each end of the filter.

Step 2) Place an empty container on the ground below the fuel filter to catch any fuel that drains out when you undo the filter. Notice the direction of the filter and how it is positioned so you can replace it the same way.

Step 3) Detach the straps holding the fuel filter in place with a screwdriver. Undo the screws and pull the fuel filter and line away from the straps.

Step 4) Unscrew the fuel line from the fuel filter on one side and allow the fuel to drain into the container. When it is competely drained, unscrew the other side and remove the filter from the vehicle.

Step 5) Attach the new fuel filter to the fuel line by screwing one side if the filter to the line and then doing the same to the other side. Confirm that you have the fuel filter positioned in the same direction as the old one.

Step 6) Reattach the straps that hold the fuel line and filter in place and verify that all connections are tight.

Step 7) Start the engine and check to see if there are any leaks in the line. When you are satisfied, shut the engine off.

Step 8) Remove the container from under the vehicle and pour any drained fuel back into the fuel tank.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Beginning Member
94_Jimmy is on a distinguished road

You cant miss it. I usually remove the gas cap before tearing into it. i dont know if its dumb luck or what but I have never had pressure issues from doing it this way. Ive heard people say they get sprayed with gas and so forth. I just remove the cap because if you ever noticed when you release your cap you sometimes hear puff of pressure come out. Also remember cardboard is your friend.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 AM
kenanddeb is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help.