2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I love Jesus, but I drink a little

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Beginning Member
farleyeod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I love Jesus, but I drink a little

Got a two part question...

I have been having a problem with a gurgling sound in my dash (heater core). My blazer is still under warranty, so I took it back to the dealership and they replaced the radiator as well as the water pump. (Thank goodness for that extended warranty!) I took the truck out again after the repair and I have the same problem... gurgling every time I step on the gas. Before the repairs, I could also smell antifreeze, and that has gone away. I took the truck BACK in today and they said it's just air trapped in the lines from the previous repairs and they flushed the system. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, low and behold the sound is still there... Now the question...

It's under warranty, and I believe I should get the job done right, but do I need to keep taking it back over and over and over until the sound is gone, or is this something I can fix for dirt cheap in 15 minutes at home?

If I can do it myself for cheap and not bother them, any ideas on what I should check out on this thing?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: I love Jesus, but I drink a little

Gurgling sound usually means air in the system very easy to fix only cost involved is coolant and a little time I'll quote kyle since he explains better than I (and in fewer words too lol)

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

elevate the front of the truck with the passenger side slightly higher than the driver's side. Run the truck up to operating temperature with the radiator cap off, then allow it to cool down, adding coolant as necessary during the process. Repeat as necessary until you get the system full. While the truck is running and up to operating temperature, it is sometimes good to rev the engine a bit to increase the flow of coolant in the block which can help in getting the air out.

On last thing... Replace the radiator cap. Stant's safety cap is a very good replacement. The stock caps can be problematic and can cause all kinds of issues.
That should fix it for ya but keep us posted and good luck

Old 02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to figure out the meaning of the titleof this thread and how it's supposed to attract helpful replies.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: rriddle3

I'm trying to figure out the meaning of the titleof this thread and how it's supposed to attract helpful replies.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
X2

Old 02-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I'll definitely give that a shot... I tried to search through previous posts to find a solution to my particular problem, and I found the radiator cap suggestion, but I missed the rest of that entirely. Thanks for the info.

The title is just my brand of sarcasm. It did spark your interest enough to take a look at my post though, yes?

The quote is from a clip my mother in law showed me a few days ago that you can view at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83JDXXKzOXg

Thanks again and I'll update with my solution.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point

I knew what the title was about when I saw it, a friend of mine had posted the video on their facebook. So I was about to call ya on the title but you beat me to the punch.

The air trapped in the system can be aggravating but if you'll do like swartlkk said it should get things straight. Fortunately my driveway must have the right incline slope because everytime I've had to service the cooling systems on either of my blazers I've been able to get all the air out of the system without too much fuss. If you have one of the Stant saftey caps(with the pressure release lever)on your radiator it makes the process easier and safer.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member

Just a quick follow up, the air seems to worked itself out of the system, but I did replace the radiator cap with the stant. Folks say it's better, and it's a cheap preventative step so why not, right?