2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Installing driving lights – 99 LS, 4x4, 4DR, 4.3

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Deadeye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Installing driving lights – 99 LS, 4x4, 4DR, 4.3

Installing driving lights – 99 LS, 4x4, 4DR, 4.3

Just bought a pair of driving lights and have a few questions before I start to wire them. Where’s the most common place to mount the relay? Where’s the most common place to tap into a battery hot wire, and to tap into a parking light wire (what color too)? And where’s the best place to route the on/off switch wire thru the firewall? I guess I should ask about the grounds too but I thought I could probably figure that one out myself.

Also, legally, these can only be on when lo-beams are on so I assume that wherever you tell me to tap into the parking lights will ensure that. Was that a question? Anyway, I want to make sure they’re legal, and don’t come on with the day time running lights too.

Thanks,
Deadeye

Old 08-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Installing driving lights – 99 LS, 4x4, 4DR, 4.3

When I put driving/fog lights on my old '97 Ram, I just found a pass-through on the firewall and fed the wires for the switch through that. If you do end up using an existing pass-through, it won't hurt anything to put a dab of silicon around the wires. This will keep any moisture from getting in around the new wires. Also, on my Ram, I just pulled 12v power for the relay from the back of the headlight switch. I just used a multimeter to find out what wire got power to light the parking lights. That truck didn't have auto headlights or DRLs so I don't know what to tell you to do with yours.

Now on the legality of driving lights. I know that in NY there is a law that restricts the number of forward facing lamps over a specific light output. That number is 4 lamps, but I cannot remember what the light output limit is. If you are installing driving lights and not fog lamps, then you will undoubtably be over that limit. So if your lo-beams do not remain on when you turn on your hi-beams, then you should be able to use driving lights no matter what. My bonneville has the lows on with the highs so the fog lights must be turned off when highs are on to keep it legal (not that fogs are all that useful with high-beams on anyway). I would love to have the lows on with highs in my Bravada (not that the light output is all that bad, but it can always be better).