2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2k Mile Tow coming up -

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Beginning Member
mcaanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow 2k Mile Tow coming up -

Being that I have accepted a position in IL, and the fact that I'm currently in WA, we have just over 2000 miles of seat time ahead of me.

I have a 2003 ZR2 Blazer and I have been going over some old threads about tow capacities hitches and what not and finally decided to post some questions.
I have read alot of threads where there's not enough info there, so lets try to not have that happen here.

Lets start w/ what we have:

I have read that there are a couple different tow packages, and TBH, I have no idea which one this has so here's the RPO's and build sheets.

RPO Codes: ( Full size RPO Sticker )

Window Sticker: ( Full size window sticker )

I do know that on the hitch that it states that its 5500 lbs, and here's what is going to need to be towed:

88 Fiero GT w/ a 2003 32 Valve Northstar which should be about the same weight as the stock engine due to the aluminum block:
Stock weights are listed as 2730 lbs.

I will be having a custom built 16' tandem axle tilt car trailer built for it that will have electric brakes & breakaway lockup on both axles, as well as the load leveling hitch setup. It will be controlled by a Voyager XP controller.

I still have yet to get the 7 pin RV setup for the ZR2, but there is a wiring harness back there but looks like BS and will be coming out to make sure that this is installed correctly.

I plan on purchasing & installing a B&M Trans Cooler, new fluids + trans filter, fuel filter, full synthetic oil change, rear gear oil changed and a lube front to back. Tires are new with less than 2000 miles on 'em and before we head out I will be having them realign it ( thanx to the lifetime alignment from Firestone ).

To be honest, I have NO idea at the weight of the trailer, so I'm going to guess that its going to be about 1750 on the dry weight.

Total tow weight should be about 4485 pounds as there is little to no fuel in the car.

What else should I really be looking into so that this little adventure goes off without a hitch and the only thing I should worry about is making sure that there's a bark park for the pooch at the next rest stop so she doesn't make a hell of a mess in the middle of nowhere on my seats?

Any and all suggestions are graciously appreciated.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:36 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

C5C : 5000 LB GVWR

UY7 : WIRING HARNESS, TRUCK TRAILER HD

VR4 : TRAILER HITCH, WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING PLATFORM

Z82 : TRAILER PROVISIONS, SPECIAL EQUIPMENT, H.0.

Those are all I could find with THIS resource.

S10forum used to have an RPO decoder where you would just type them all in and it would give you a list but I can't seem to find it now.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:58 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mcaanda
I have read alot of threads where there's not enough info there, so lets try to not have that happen here.
LOL... oh you are funny!...

ok, here's what I know... I haul a 2700lb car (on a car trailer that looks very similar to yours) every once in a while. The tranny cooler is an excellent idea... the tranny is probably the weakest link next to the rear end. When I tow I usually leave the tranny in drive instead of overdrive. I highly recommend staying out of OD or you will overheat the tranny and also maybe start to slip the clutchpack. Other than that, I don't even have trailer brakes but I am careful not to drive at too high rate of speed as compared to the rest of traffic flow just in case I have to stop in an emergency. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:12 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Looks to me like you've covered all the bases. I can't see anything you've missed.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Beginning Member

Good deal - now I just have to get to it. With all that is going on, time is going to be getting tight soon!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:51 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
LOL... oh you are funny!...

ok, here's what I know... I haul a 2700lb car (on a car trailer that looks very similar to yours) every once in a while. The tranny cooler is an excellent idea... the tranny is probably the weakest link next to the rear end. When I tow I usually leave the tranny in drive instead of overdrive. I highly recommend staying out of OD or you will overheat the tranny and also maybe start to slip the clutchpack. Other than that, I don't even have trailer brakes but I am careful not to drive at too high rate of speed as compared to the rest of traffic flow just in case I have to stop in an emergency. Good luck!
I tow with our 97 Blazer 4x4 that has the heavy tow package. I can tell you without a good tranny cooler the tranny won't hold up. They like to over heat & blow fluid out the over flow. How do I know, I did it. I installed a B&M Super cooler 11"x7.5"x3/4" they are $50. They fit real nice on the right front behind grill.
Just a warning. Most States the law is any trailer 5000# or more is REQUIRED TO BE EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRIC BRAKES. If for some reason you had an accident without them you might be facing real trouble especially if someone is hurt.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Beginning Member
Talking Trailers in!

Got the call last week that my trailer had been built, and finally got the time to run down there and pick it up.

Bummer deal was that the load leveling hitch setup that I had ordered from E.Trailer.com was literally used, abused, and sold to me as NEW. They did send me a RTA tag, and are sending out a "new - new one?" and when I called today they said that it would be here early next week.

This is what I saw when I opened the brown shipping exterior box:

Notice the chunks missing out of the pads...

Split handle as well -

Without the goodies required to tow, I called my dad and we went to pick it up.

I think that w/ the white GT and a blue racing stripe, the candy blue cage, blue 5 point harnesses and a white tow rig this thing will look pretty sweet. I like the white pin striping on the trailer - just thought that it was a nice touch.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Beginning Member
Talking Counting Down...

Wanting to "finish" off the trailer, I ended up getting some stain for it which turned out pretty good, albeit a bit more on the reddish side than I had hoped.

It does look a bit better with some dirt and grit on it - not so "new."

While its not going to win any Indy 5oo races, this thing tows really nice. The balance on the trailer checked out, as well as the wheel well heights before and after the trailer was loaded. I picked up the REESE load level and anti-sway system with the 8oo pound bars. Nice thing is that you can get others for the same setup if needed be. Downside, is that to do any adjustment to the system, you have to change the angle that is on the trunnion which is a huge PITA.

When the car is done, this thing is so getting a V8. I have been looking already at it and being that I own the pink to the ZR2, there's no reason to trade it in on something that is going to end up with a payment. Bonus is if you like the rig, why not make it a bit better and run with it - no need for the hassle of dealing with car salesmen at all!

And yes, the motor will get wrapped...

We're getting close...

--Allen

Old 07-25-2009, 03:18 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

NICE setup! Looks like you're about ready to hit the open road!