2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

mystery engine shut off!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:57 PM
blazzerium is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mystery engine shut off!!

Hi guys,let me explain what happen this evening,my blazer is 4x4 96.

after about 45 min of driving my blazer all was normal ,my speed was 90-100km and suddenly,whitout warning,the engine cut-off!!
No braking,no accelerating just cruzing!
In my head I said"the fuel pump is scrap and surely need towing"
I put it on neutral position and finaly restart after 1 minute!
I doing about 5 km running great and suddenly bang! cut off again!
He did this 5 times(in about ten minutes!)before I arrive at home,restarting each time before it be completly immobilized.

After eating ,i put my fuel pressure gauge to the shrader valve,close hood(not completly),because the gauge is in my windshield!when I put the key on,the pressure go to 60 psiinstantanily,start engine the pressure drop to 54-55 all is normal,great idle.I go for a ride for see what happen with the fuel pressure when the engine shut off...

I drive my blazer during about 30 min...nothing happens!runs great!
But finaly after 30 min...the engine shut off when I cruzing normaly at 80 km.Take a look to my gauge ,the pressure is anormaly low maybe about 20 psi(it's difficult to see),put the truck on neutral,put the key off,and try to start...it not start and I saw on the gage there is no building pressure.put the key off again,and when I retry to start I saw the pressure hit 60 and vroum!! it start and run greats!put it on drive and bye bye!All this in about 15-30 sec,the truck don't have time to immobilize completely on the side of the road.After it run great untill my home(20 min).

Do you have some advice guys what is my problem?
Thanks!!

Old 05-29-2007, 01:13 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: mystery engine shut off!!

Well other than the obvious fuel pump, check the regulator also check for any codes relating to the Emissions Evaporative system....there is a pressure sensor on the fuel pump housing...also make sure that all lines are tight and not leaking....

Old 05-29-2007, 01:35 AM

Thank you Mark for your advice,I will go to the garage cheking for code.

Sunday afternoon,I took my blazer,I did about 100km with it and no problem,it runs great all the way!perfect idle and perfect acceleration!

When this problems happened friday past,it's was a very hot day here,about 30 C,maybe a relation with this...

I love my blazer and it's difficult for me to stop thinking to what can be happened...

Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 PM

Is your gas guage functioning normally??? If so how much gas was in the tank...the s-series vehicles are known to have a problem with the fuel pump overheating if not enough fuel is in the tank...this will eventually lead to pump failure... most complaints are when the fuel level reaches 1/4 tank or less....

Old 05-30-2007, 01:00 AM

Hi mark, I went to the garage today for check code and...absolutely nothing...The guys plugs his OBD 2 testing in the socket while the engine running and all is normal.That's eliminate this possibilty for 15$!!

For my gage ,it functionning normaly(I think!!).I said that because Friday past ,when the truck cut off at intermitents intervals,when I finaly arrived at home,the truck stayed about 30-40 min whitout running while I eating.(The level of gas was 1/4).after eating I go for ride and it takes 30 min before stalling again!!It's why I said my fuel gage it's ok... I don't think that my truck is able to ride another 30 min with an almost empty thank.After this "last stalling"(friday night)I immediately put 40 $ of gas in the thank.and since this moment,the truck not stalling one time.

I think like you Mark,I think the pump overheating when the fuel level is to low.Now,the level is a little bit under the half.I will waiting to see what happens when the going down.The problems is I don't want take my truck for go to my job,because I have to cross a big bridge...I don't want take the chance to stall on the bridge.

I just want to be the sure as possible that's the problems is the fuel pump...because I called the chevrolet dealer today and it cost 579$ + taxes.
What do you think of that Mark?
(excuse my english if it seems a little bit bizzard.I speak french! :-)

is it better to put a "GM" fuel pump at 579$?...or a "jobber one"less expansive can do the job?

Thank you!!

Old 05-30-2007, 01:22 AM

Jobber pumps are truly less cost, the dealer part also includes a new sending unit since they are a part of the fuel pump housing, if you can do the job then I would recomend that. The hardest part is disconnecting the fuel lines and sending unit wires on top of the tank with out breaking something...but if you are careful and do it with a near empty tank then it should be no problem...

I have looked up posts on hear and there is one person here who believes that you could add an external inline pump that would meet the fuel pressure needs of the system and not have to drop the tank...I think his username is MinHawk...

But from what you describe I would keep the tank filled above the 1/4 tank mark to lengthen the life of your current pump until you can afford a newer pump to replace it...