2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

noise like jet engine, help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:18 AM
blueblazer2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default noise like jet engine, help?

HI, I have a 2001 Chevy S10 Blazer and it has run great always. It has 117,000 miles on it and it just out of the clear blue started sounding noisier, mostly in the 1500 RPM range, like a jet engine when they are warming them on the tarmack. It is not always noisy, but comes and goes as I am driving it. Any ideas about what this is? I have been through the process of hearing a transmission go out slowly with my old RX7 in the past, and it doesn't really sound like gear whine to me, but I could be wrong. Could it be a belt or something simple, or does it sound more like engine or tranny trouble. It still drives great and doesn't seem to have lost any power,etc. Still drives smooth. Any suggestions recommended! I am reluctant to take it to the shop for something so nonspecific as I might get raked with a huge bill.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:01 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: noise like jet engine, help?

bad thermostat/fan clutch ? Does it sound like rushing air ?

Old 06-26-2007, 06:20 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with my '96, BUT it started right AFTER I replaced the fan clutch and the water pump. I bought the vehicle used and don't recall it sounding that loud, but after the FC and WP replacement it now sounds as you describe, "like a jet engine about to take off". It idles fine (not so loud), runs great, has plenty of power, but man is she loud INITIALLY. After the vehicle warms up a bit, she quiets back down. My initial though was that the FC was still a bit "stiff" and just needed some time to work in, but it's been months with no change in sound. My wife won't drive it cause it makes too much noise..haha..but my 16 year old son apparently has no problem with it..of course.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
blueblazer2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI, thanks for your fast reply. It doesn't sound like rushing air so much as just a louder, steady noise (a little more dense than a shrill whine) The jet engine thing is the only thing I can think of. The only work I have had recently is that there was old corroded antifreeze in my radiator and it shot the whole thing (side plastic radiator parts) to cracking, so I had the entire radiator replaced with a new one, as well as the thermostat. Supposedly they said the water pump was still fine, so we left that in there. That was about 2000 miles ago. Other than that, the car has had no other work other than replacing air filters, oil change, new battery. Could I be low on transmission fluid, or are you guys thinking this is NOT related to the tranny in any way, more to the fan clutch, water pump situation?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:33 PM
tonio is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys have your rear axles and the ballchecked out i had the rear go out then the front. it is expensive at the dealer.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:25 AM
brock is an unknown quantity at this point

Considering the cooling system work and the sound many of us are familiar with, it appears to be the fan, they are loud.

Watch your engine temp gauge, where is it when the noise starts, where is it when there is no noise????

Check your coolant level, the overflow tank on these trucks will fool you, when the engine is cold, repeat cold, pull the cap and top off the radiator and the overflow tank.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine does this occasionally. Usually only at parking lot speeds and stops after 10-15 seconds. I've been assuming fan clutch, but have been waiting for it to get worse before I dig into it. To me it sounds like the truck is accelerating in 4WD Lo range even though you could tell by the feel that it was 2WD Hi (as it should have been).

Old 08-02-2007, 02:22 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

BlueBlazer2001:

If you want to check belt noise then remove the belt for a short time and see if the sound is still there; do this when the engine is cold or barely warm since not turning the water pump will increase the speed at which the coolant heats up. Also there is a thread about the planetary gears on the trans making a whining noise....if there is any slipping in the tranny you would know this...try shifting into other gears to see if the noise changes sound levels....if so then you have a failing trans (time to rebuild or buy used/new rebuilt)...

Old 08-04-2007, 05:45 PM
tonio is an unknown quantity at this point

pinon the round ball at the back axles