2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Pressure High, But No Oil??? Comments...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Beginning Member
davidsv8mustang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil Pressure High, But No Oil??? Comments...

So yesterday on my way home from work my oil pressure was acting up. It would fluctuate between normal and high when accelerating. When stopped or idling it would return to normal. Got home, pulled the dipstick to find that the dipstick was covered in a thick oil build up. Wiped it off, and stuck it back in a few more times, until it was basically reading way below the minimum line. (Basically saying I had no oil in the car) I haven't drove it since. I was going to change the oil tonight when I get home to see what the oil looked like when I drain it. Has anyone ever had anything like this happened. I last checked the oil about 2-3 wks ago and it was at the full make were it should be. Have no drips or leaks on the floor to indicate any reason I would lose that much oil in that short amount of time. I'm 300 miles away from my next 3,000 mile oil change. I use Valvoline premium oil 5w-30 with the ac delco filter they recommend. This is only the third time the oil is going to be changed since I bought it just about a year ago.

The car was running fine, and I never lost oil pressure, it was just very high at times until the motor completely warmed up.

Comments on the situation???

Last edited by davidsv8mustang; 02-18-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 02-18-2010, 02:29 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, a pressure fluctuation due to rpm's is normal, but if the 'build up' is sludge that could also account for spiking pressures. As for the level drop, have you checked your coolant level to make sure it is not getting into the coolant system? Plus, what are you driving?