2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ordering parts ...am I missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Beginning Member
mellon101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ordering parts ...am I missing anything?

I am getting ready to place a big order from rockauto and I just wanted to get some advice on what all I should buy.
I have done a bunch of work on the truck lately (I just bought it in October), and this is the final push to get it where I want it as far as maintenance goes. It had been pretty neglected by previous owners.

Here is the list of crap I am about to buy:
Upper and lower ball joints
Upper and lower control arm bushings
Inner and outer tie rod ends and adjuster sleeves
Monroe Reflex monotube shocks, front and rear
both of the sets of oil lines ...to the filter ....to the radiator (mine are leaking badly)

Here are my questions:
Does MOOG not make an outer tie rod end for a 96 4X4???? I can't find a part number
What else should I replace in the steering???? Pitman arm?? Idler arms?? (I have never really done a project like this and don't know much about the steering parts)
How hard is it going to be to remove the lower control arm to replace the bushings?? (that torsion bar looks scary)
Once I get the control arms off....how hard is it to get the old bushings out??

I will post a list of what I have done to the truck so far. If you see any gaps in my maintenance....let me know. The truck runs absolutely perfect right now....so I am not going to replace the plugs/wires/rotor/cap until I have a reason to.

Things I have done so far:
Serpentine belt
water pump
thermostat
radiator cap
upper and lower radiator hoses
Sway bar end links (one was busted)
Rear diff fluid
Front diff fluid
transfer case fluid
Transmission filter and fluid
air filter
fuel filter
pcv valve
Front brake pads, rotors, calipers
Rear brake shoes
replaced various cracking vacuum hoses

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 11-28-2006, 01:32 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Ordering parts ...am I missing anything?

well first id get some reference like a haynes or chilton manuel. apitman arm puller is required to remove the arm and make sure u scribe the old arms and sterring gear and frame. make a new mark on the new arms in the same place as the old. now line up the lines when u install. id still change the plugs and wires, it seems like ur going for the complete tune up. so dont hold out on anything. plus stay close attention to emission control systems, egr, map, iac, tps, pcv, evap, etc.., fuel filter as well. just keep adding to the already well compiled list and u cant go wrong. good choice on rockauto, quick and easy to find parts. plus alot of us here have been raving about seafoam, so check it out and good luck

Old 11-28-2006, 12:19 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're doing the outer tie rods might as well get the inners too and the connecting sleeve for the tie rods.

Rare that the pitman is needed unless you are just doing it for a rebuild. If so then look for the center link also.

TRW or other supplier for the Poly bushing set. Energy Suspension ( Energy Suspension site )
That would be the top line to replace the bushings in the front. The kit for it is not that bad in pricing.
It has all the bushings for the front suspension.

1991-96 Blazer (Energy Suspension part numbers via catalog)

Front End Control Arm Bushing Set part# 3.3173 (lower kit Part Number: 33167R $40.99 Upper kit Part Number: 33119G $57.99) could not find the kit 3.3173 check with your local parts store for it.
Front Sway Bar Frame Bushings part# 3.5183 (footnote #29 Greaseable Frame Bushings) set: Part Number: 35206G $35.99
Front End Links part# 9.8123 (this you replaced already, but the kit is Special order only)

Hypertech does not make a full kit, wish they did.

For the outer tie rod:

MOOG tie rod parts:
Driver side
Outer: Moog Chassis Prod. Tie Rod End Part Number: ES2072RL $67.99
Inner: N/A

Pass. side
Outer: Moog Chassis Prod. Tie Rod End Part Number: ES2072RL $67.99
Inner: N/A

Pitman arm puller: Sears item #00999054000 Mfr. model #KDS2289 (made by KD tools) $30.99 (via craftsman online)
Moog Chassis Prod. Pitman Arm Part Number: K6255 (via partsamerica online) Retail Price $67.99
Moog Chassis Prod. Center Link Part Number: DS1047 Retail Price $85.99
Moog Chassis Prod. Adjusting Sleeve Part Number: ES2004S (to connect the tie rods together) Retail Price: $14.99

Hope this helps you out. Good luck and happy wrenching

Old 11-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Beginning Member
mellon101 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the replies.

I think I am going to skip the pitman arm and the center link .....but go ahead and replace the idler arm.

Just for anybody who is curious in the future...
I never found a part number for the MOOG outer tie rod end. A part number was available for the Bravada, Jimmy, and S-10 p/u....so that is the one I am going to order. It must just be some strange MOOG catalog oversite.
Inner = ES2072RLT
outer = ES2249RLT

So far my wallet is screaming to the tune of $823.21 !!!

I am still slightly concerned with my ability to remove the torsion bar and get the lower control arm off. Hopefully it goes better than I am imagining.
I am also worried about how hard the control arm bushings will be to get out and the new ones in place.

thanks