2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Overheating and Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Beginning Member
Blake726 is on a distinguished road
Default Overheating and Shaking

2dr,2wd, '03 LS

I had a problem with overheating around a half a month ago and I thought I had it fixed with a radiator flush and new thermostat.

Till it overheated and I brought it to the shop and told them to fix the overheating issue, they said it was the water pump ... I had it replaced and seemed fine for 10 minutes after leaving the shop till it overheated. I am taking it back in the morning so they can fix the overheating problem like they were suppose to... I have replaced the radiator cap, flushed and changed the coolant, new water pump, checked the fan clutch, checked the coolant and oil for the other, and replaced the thermostat and I am at a loss for what the problem could be... Any ideas would be helpful..

I also got it back making a horrible racket and shaking all over the place.. It has had a tick in the engine for the year I have had it and for several years that the previous owner had it. I have had two mechanics tell me it is rod knock but the noise is the same as when I brought it to them a year ago when I made the purchase and had them look at it and both tell me it was a lifter... They also immediately after looking at it told me they would replace the engine for 4 grand... My regular mechanic is out of town so I had to deal with them..

The whole car vibrates and the exhaust is chugging and rattling. It stalls sometimes when idling randomly, it dies when you pull to a stop, it drains the battery like crazy, horrible idle, and it only does all that if it is below 30mph........ You get in on the highway (which is difficult...) and you get it to 30mph and everything stops, the noise quiets and it stops shaking and it sounds like her normal self which is another reason I am skeptical about it having rod knock...

The check engine light flashes, it is missing a cat and it has a vacuum leak that has been there for awhile that I haven't thought about fixing till I started typing this. I did get it back without oil from the shop when they looked in the oil pan for coolant for some reason... I noticed the oil pressure and put some oil in it after only a mile or two of driving it.. it lessened up some then and doesn't stall when idling as much now but it is still having the shaking problems and overheating..

Last edited by Blake726; 06-16-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:38 AM
Starting Member
jaked up is on a distinguished road

well as far a over heating have them persher test your cooling system its proly your intake or head gaskit as for the rest i am at a loss

Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Beginning Member

The pressure has been good. I also had them though check the oil and coolant for good measure.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:48 AM
war00 is on a distinguished road

sounds like the guys your taking your vehicle to are butchers and making your problems worse. i rec taking it else where. if you have replaced everything else it gotta be one of three things 1) ect sensor is bad 2) intake/headgasket leaking 3) bad thermostat

Old 06-16-2012, 01:04 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

+1
get a new mechanic...if you wanted to guess and throw parts at it you could do that yourself. when you pay a pro its not to much to expect pro service.

i hope its not a head gasket...my stang did this same thing for a couple months before she popped...holding idle was tough (luckily its a stick) but once i was moving all was good.

i would pressure check the cylinders....its easy to do and it on the loan a tool list at most parts stores around me.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Beginning Member

The mechanic I used for the water pump is state certified and has done some work for me before and was fine. My regular mechanic gets back in Tuesday and I am going to take it to him. The water pump even if it wasn't the problem for all my overheating it was in need of replacement since I could see it shooting water out the back of it.

The mechanic that replaced the water pump wasn't one that said it was rod knock. I keep four or five mechanics in touch for opinions. He figures that the camrod might have worn out and its not lifting the valves up enough so at lower speeds its not getting enough intake and the overheating had some negative affects on it. It has had lifter problems for awhile so it seems plausible.

Do any of you think that is a possible problem? Going to have a pressure test again on Tuesday to see if it is a headgasket.

I would have all the lifters replaced, push rods,plugs and wires and all the gaskets replaced while putting a camrod in if it is the problem. My regular mechanic said he could do it for 275 labour plus part costs if that was the problem. Is that a good price for it? He said that he would go ahead and replace it all even if it was a heat gasket just since the labour would be the same. I trust my regular one with the job since he has replaced an engine for me before.

Sensor was checked when I did the radiator flush by my mechanic.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:28 PM
starandrose is on a distinguished road

Sorry - I could not figure out how to post a new 'thread' so I decided to ask here - my 96 blazer is over heating within minutes of idling, then looses a bunch of coolant. I haven't been able to locate where the leak is. There is sooo much stuff under that hood that it's hard to see anything in there! Plus I haven't been able to get any help from any guys that I know that are knowledgeable with my car. Could anyone help me please?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:50 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

when you say you are loosing coolant...where too?
on the ground? passenger..driver side?
have you checked the oil? if there is coolant in the oil it will look like a milkshake on the stick.
need some more details starandrose.

to start a thread look at the top left side of the section you are in when looking at the threads...there is a "new thread" button .

Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 PM
starandrose is on a distinguished road

I believe it is leaking on the drivers side. The oil is fine and it doesn't look like what you described. I checked in the radiator and it looks like that is fine too. the fan is going all the time, too. I do remember that the other day my check engine light came on and i had it checked. It said it was the "evaporative emissions system - small leak". Would that have anything to do with it?