2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P1441: Charcoal in Vapor Lines / Bad Canister

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 AM
grogger13 is on a distinguished road
Default P1441: Charcoal in Vapor Lines / Bad Canister

My 1997 4.3L V6 Blazer is giving me a P1441 code which is a small leak, after some searching i heard that it could be the purge solenoid. When i removed the purge solenoid a bunch of charcoal poured out of the purge line. I believed this meant I had a bad charcoal vapor canister and I looked around and asked some people and in deed that was the case. I have removed the canister and my plan was going to be to blow the purge line with compressed air from the purge solenoid connection to the canister connection in hopes that this would clean the purge line out from charcoal. After some attempts of doing this and removing some charcoal I am not sure that this is going to clean the lines out. I noticed that charcoal kept appearing at the purge solenoid end almost as if it was just swirling around and not getting pushed through the lines. Is there a check valve somewhere in the lines or something? Does anyone have any ideas of a good way to clean the lines.

I have a new canister and purge solenoid. I thought if i could not clean the lines out this way I would simply put back on the old purge solenoid and drive with the old solenoid, periodically removing the solenoid and emptying the charcoal that collects in it. Eventually it should suck all the charcoal to the canister and I should then be able to put the new purge solenoid on. That sounds like a big pain and not really the proper way to do it either. Any thoughts?

Last edited by grogger13; 06-19-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

P1441=EVAP system continuous open purge.

Just to make sure we're on the same page here.... The canister purge solenoid is mounted to the intake plenum on the engine, next to the ignition coil. The purge canister vent solenoid is mounted to the frame near the fuel tank. The purge canister is mounted near the fuel tank also.

The first thing I'd check is the canister purge solenoid. Remove it from the plenum, you shouldn't be able to blow through it. Have a new seal handy, do not reuse the old one.

Pretty common problem for charcoal pieces to get stuck in the canister purge solenoid and hold it open. If that turns out to be the problem, replace the canister with a new one, not used. Flush all of the lines and check the vent solenoid to make sure it works properly.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:52 AM
grogger13 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I was calling the canister purge solenoid the "purge solenoid" which is mounted on the engine intake plenum. Also yes there was charcoal in the purge solenoid. At this point I am sure that is the case.

My problem now is not about what to do but how to do it. You said I should flush all the lines and that is where I am uncertain how to do it. How would I go about flushing the lines? What I have done so far is blow the line running from the canister purge solenoid to the charcoal canister with compressed air.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You're on the right track. Disconnect all of the EVAP system hoses and lines and blow 'em out. Possibly shoot some carb cleaner in the hose first. Does the purge solenoid seal now or can you blow through it? If you can blow through it, either direction, even a little bit, replace it, but not until you get all of the charcoal bits out and replace the canister.