2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

please help thank you for you time!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:57 PM
keithjannjr1994 is on a distinguished road
Default please help thank you for you time!!

I bought a 1997 Chevy blazer 6 cyl 4.3 about a month ago and have been getting nothing but problems from it. I was play with my 4wd switch because the guy that i bought it from has the 4wd actuator line hook up to a pair a vice-grips by the battery. He told me it could only go into 4wd hi and 2wd and no 4lo. It worked for a little bit but I had it sitting in my garage replacing tie-rods, ball joints, brakes pads and rotors, blower motor, blower motor relay and connector. When i fired it up after about three days of work the 4wd and 2wd switch lights wasn't coming on or my dash lights but my gauges were working. So i took out the switch while car was running and manually pressed the switch to try to get it to turn 4wd on. And it still didn't work. I tried several times then the switch sparked at me and my gauges went out. I figured it was a fuse that popped but i replaced all the fuses and it still didn't work. I gave up on it that night and the next day it wouldn't start at all. I replaced the battery and alternator and got it to fire up but alternator still won't charge battery or keep the car running for long. And while it was running i noticed the dash lights were working but the gauges still weren't working. Took dash completely out to to make sure there was no physical damage to the dash circuit board. Tested it for a voltage drain/short with mutimeter and there was 0.0 drain. so I don't know where to look next I Really can't find to much info on a problem like this, anybody have any idea or advice??

Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

WOW...not sure where I would even start here.

Perhaps disconnect the TCCM; located in passenger footwell, under the trim panel on the right side; it just pulls off.
Then see if anything has changed.
Need to pull each fuze and look at it or measure across the fuze with a voltmeter to really know if it is blown or not.
With the new alternator not charging the battery, there must be an open in the wiring. I am not sure where all the fuseable links are at, but I think this is going to take some examining of the wiring; look for any suspicious areas over the harness lengths.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Starting Member
Chic_Bowdrie is on a distinguished road

How do you manually test the switch with the motor running? Is there any other way to activate the switch? There's certain conditions for the brake and gears to get into lo and hi 4W drive.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 AM

Right by the battery there is a little black box that says relay on it, it has three fuses in it. 2a, 15a, and a 4 prong plug. There are two wires running out of the bottom black and red. Both of them are connected to anything. Can't find anything online like a diagram to know where to reconnect them wires too. Could this be my problem?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

I am not aware of any relay box next to the battery, unless a '97 is different than my '02, if not, then must be something aftermarket and if not connected to anything, I would just remove it. I would not think that this is causing the problem, but then have no idea what this is, so best to trace the wiring and ensure that if nothing connected, remove it.

Have you check all the fuses in the small compartment under the hood, driver's side?

Old 03-09-2014, 07:32 PM

The only fuse box that i am aware of is the one on the driver's side interior. I have looked for other fuse boxes and can't find any other. Also checked owners manual and it only list the fuse box on the inside of the interior. I did however check the fusible link under the black plastic container on the drivers side under the hood and they are all good. I am about to go and check where the little black box by the battery wires run to and get back with you. thx for help!

Old 03-10-2014, 04:56 PM

Okay I have a couple updates. Th little black box was aftermarket fog lights wiring. Pulled it all out yesterday. It was wired into the system so I know it isn't causing the problem. I have to fusible links one right by my battery that runs to the alternator and another right by my starter. All fusible links looked good. Still no drainage shown on multimeter. I think my plan of attack it going to be a new dash board circuit and new battery cables to run for pos and ground just to be safe. Also going to take the new battery back to where I bought it and have them do a load test to make sure its still good. And if all of that don't work probably going to try ignition switch. If that don't work I am going to be finding the nearest carlot and dumping her in as a trade in because this one's been a lemon on me from the beginning. Thanks for all help and advice.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

on my 2000 there is a fuse box under the battery with a big AMG style fuse in it. I don't know of the 97s are the same.