2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

question about locking diffs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Banned
walkingtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question about locking diffs.

Hey I am looking into getting a locking diff for my 98 chevy blazer i wanted something for the rear to replace the open diff now it is a daily driver i read about the locking diffs and they said that there is alot of problems with them eg. turning and in the rain and snow, if i put one in the back will i have all those problems or are they just associted with the front. diff or would it be better to go with a limited slip

Old 10-30-2006, 01:02 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: question about locking diffs.

It depends if you want a mechanical or electrical setup.

Auburn gear, powertrax, and ARB if would be my choices if I had money to burn.

Hope this helps. Differentials.com

Old 11-28-2007, 10:07 PM
cpfritz is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just purchased a Powertrax Lockright locker for my 96, I want it for more traction on snow and ice, I live north of the 55th parallel and we generally have snow from late Oct thru to early May. I will be posting a message following the installation and the first test ride. Colin

Old 11-29-2007, 05:46 AM
Zed
Zed is an unknown quantity at this point

You will have those problems in the rain or snow ..
I have a GM G-Lock ( standard in my 01 ZR2 ) and if you like doing donuts in the snow their not the best as with it being totally locked up both tires spin at the same rate and you hear this terrible crunching while doing donuts ...
In the rain all you have to do is touch the gas while making a turn from a stop and the thing will go sideways on you but it is doing what it's supposed to do in 4WD you just have to learn how to live with it ..

Zed

Old 11-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you hear crunching when you're doing donuts, something isn't right... I have had G80 diffs (RPO for the stock locker - Gov-loc) in my last two trucks and my dad's last 4 farm trucks all had it as well. No noise from any of them.

But I will agree that a locker isn't always good for snowy on-road conditions as it can cause the back end to step out on you if you are not expecting it. But it will provide added traction.