2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear Glass

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 06:30 PM
cowboy35002003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear Glass

Ok Guys, I have a 1996 Chevy S-10 Blazer. This morning, my rear window decided to randomly not open. The key, the button inside, and the remote button all do not work. So, I'm wondering can the electric motor randomly quit working? I opened the back at home, but when I got to my college campus, 10 minutes later, it wouldn't open! Help, my bike is stuck in the back! Thanks!

Old 11-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Default RE: Rear Glass

Okay, so here is the update. I looked it all over, and saw that the fuse that controls the dome light and the rear window (it is the "courtesy" fuse) is blown. I replaced it a few times, and it kept blowing out again. The dome light inside was blown too. Any ideas now? Why would it just start this randomly all of a sudden? Thanks!

Old 11-16-2004, 06:54 AM
01xtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea other than putting in a bigger fuse.

Old 11-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

there may be a short to ground somewhere, the motor may be starting to go, its hard to tell without testing it with a volt,ohm,amp meter.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:16 AM

Okay, so I've tried bigger fuses, all to no avail....I am really puzzeled now. Any more ideas why it would have shorted all of a sudden, so quickly? Thanks

Old 11-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Damein is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having a similar problem to yours, I can hear my motor trying to pop the window open, it just won't pop, I hear the fuse/relay in the fusebox click whenever I try to open it with the pushbutton inside/on door/on key, but all the same thing, hear the motor, no pop. Any ideas?

Old 12-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Trogdor is an unknown quantity at this point

My Dad and I have the same problem. He's got a 96 Blazer. We can't get the rear window open at all. Pressing the tailgate button or the dashboard control will activate the tailgate motor, and we can hear it spin, but the window won't unlatch.

We checked the Chilton manual. The Blazer is supposed to have a mechanical bypass button which can be accessed through a small hole on the interior panel. We found the hole and stuck a screwdriver in there. It hit a button, which activated the window release motor and we heard it spin, but we still have the same problem. It won't unlatch.

We'd like to take the tailgate apart to replace the motor, but first we need to figure out 2 things:

- Is the latch really broken, if the motor still activates?
- How can we get the window open?? We can't replace the motor if we can't get the window open. Is there a way to unlatch the window that doesn't involve the motor?

Any suggestions appreciated. I'll try to post some pictures soon.

Cowboy, it's possible there's a short in the window motor itself. A good test would be to hook an amp meter up to the fuse connection and then try opening the rear window. If you see it pull a large current, you'll know the short is in the motor. Make sure there's a breaker fuse in the test circuit so you don't fry your wiring. If there is a short in the window motor, replacing it should fix the problem.

I'm lucky this didn't happen with the Christmas tree in there. [>:]

TROGDOR

Old 12-13-2004, 02:36 AM

I got my problem fixed. There was a short in the light in the glovebox. I just disconnected the light, and it works! Thanks for all the suggestions! Trogdor, you can access the window motor via the carpet lining below where the motor is on the rear door. if you peel the carpet down slightly, u can see a small access hole in the plastic molding. According to the owner's manual, and it does work (I had to do this), you can take a small screwdriver or knife and "pry toward the passenger side of the vehicle." This causes the motor to roll over, essentially manually, and your window will pop open. You then can remove the inner plastic panel, as I did. However, the motor is not very easily accessible. I think You'll have to do more door dismantling from there! Good luck!

Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 PM
jboy76 is an unknown quantity at this point

This happened to me about 2 yrs ago. I can hear the switch click as if it wants to release the rear window. I do not have the info anymore but found on a site a solution. For me and this might be for you all that can hear the click but the latch will not release the window. There is a lever within the rear hatch panel that is connected to a plastic piece and that piece is connected to the arm that opens the latch. The middle piece has most likely snapped. I was told the replacement part was like $75 (rough guess) bucks or I could take a zip tie and connect the 2 pieces again. So thats what I did and it works fine and has been working fine ever since then. After fiddling around to at least get the window open take off the rear hatch cover panel. Lay the hatch down and push the release button and you will see this arm move. You will then need to look around in that area to find where to connect it to. I know this sounds all jiberish I am just trying to think that far back and can not for the life of me find the post that was given to me. Hope this helps.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
stwodahorty is an unknown quantity at this point

i know this is kinda off topic, but does anyone know the height measurement of the back window of a 93?