General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

REAR glass to seal adj.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:21 PM
jschlip1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default REAR glass to seal adj.

I had seen swartlkk mention adjusting the rear glass to seal adjustment, just wondering if he or anyone else might know about this, and also, will it get rid of the damn rattling (squeeking) that comes from the back window that they are natorious for??? lol Thanks everyone!

'96 S-10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. LS

Old 02-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: REAR glass to seal adj.

Don't know if the '96 rear door panel is the same as my '00, but I just did this adjustment in about 10 minutes one afternoon after work. This process applies to my '00 and may or may not work for another year.

The lower portion of the door panel is held on by spring clips. If you have a swing out pull strap, it'll have a larger T20 or T30 torx screw attaching it to the door. The only other screw in fastener that was on mine was at the latch. Open the glass to access the philips head screw. Around the glass area of the panel, there are 'c' clip style retainers that have plastic pins in the metal framework and the 'c' clip forms in the plastic panel. I'd have to pull mine off again to tell which direction they go in, but if you get the bottom portion of the panel off first, you can look up and see what I'm talking about.

Once the panel is off, you'll do the adjusting on 2 10mm (again for my '00) nuts that hold the latch to the gate frame. The adjustment will have to take place with the glass unlatched. I took a scribe and marked the location of the nuts as is, then moved the latch in a bit deeper. Closed the gate, then the glass to see how difficult it was to close it.

Another thing to possibly do would be to replace the seal on the rear glass. I don't know the exact price, but I wouldn't think it would be to aweful expensive. It is possible that your seal has hardened up and taken a set, not making a good seal and not soaking up the vibrations it needs to.

Yet another area to look at would be the hinge pins for the rear gate. If the pins are worn, they could allow the rear glass to shift and move around while driving down the road. The hinges can be plainly seen with the glass up. To check them for play, disconnect the lift struts and wiggle the glass around. If there seems like there is excessive play, then you may have to investigate further.

Good luck and let me know what you find.