2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Scan Tool Recommendations???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Beginning Member
blazertom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scan Tool Recommendations???

I'll bet this has been covered on the forum before but I've had no luck searching for previous posts on this subject. I've recently learned quite a bit on this forum and have come to the conclusion that a new scan tool with more functionality than my current, basic Actron CP9145 Super AutoScanner would serve me well in current and future endeavors.

At the moment, I'm particularly interested in a scan tool with the capability to directly command individual transmission solenoids on and off. There's probably many other desirable, or perhaps even necessary, scan tool functions that I'm not yet aware of.

Id like to hear recommendations on specific scan tool makes and models as well as the functions that a serious automotive DIY'er should be looking for. Please also include what I could expect to pay for the scan tools you might be recommending!

BT

Old 07-28-2015, 08:15 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

I like the AutoEngunity Scantool. Your laptop is a component part of it and it is bi-directional.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Rockp2!

Would I be correct in guessing there are different levels of bidirectionality available?

And what would this particular model cost?

Last edited by blazertom; 07-28-2015 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Additional question
Old 07-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Run a search for AutoEnginuity. I have one and love it's capabilities.

I also have a bluetooth scanner that I use first since I can leave that in the glovebox and sync it with my phone.

I will be upgrading sometime to EFI Live Scan & Tune to be able to tune my truck. Won't happen for a while though since I just had to drop all that money on a new lawn mower.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:08 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Swartlkk!

You and rockp2 have given me a good starting point and something to look forward to but I'll be surprised if any of these scan tools are within my reach!

BT

Old 07-29-2015, 08:12 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazertom
I'll bet this has been covered on the forum before but I've had no luck searching for previous posts on this subject. I've recently learned quite a bit on this forum and have come to the conclusion that a new scan tool with more functionality than my current, basic Actron CP9145 Super AutoScanner would serve me well in current and future endeavors.

At the moment, I'm particularly interested in a scan tool with the capability to directly command individual transmission solenoids on and off. There's probably many other desirable, or perhaps even necessary, scan tool functions that I'm not yet aware of.

Id like to hear recommendations on specific scan tool makes and models as well as the functions that a serious automotive DIY'er should be looking for. Please also include what I could expect to pay for the scan tools you might be recommending!

BT
Don't know if it's the best, but HP Tuners VCM scanner (for Windows) will do transmission solenoids as well as Cam Retard and Crank Relearn. Although I have not begun to investigate all of it's capabilities, I have commanded the trans to shift to different gears and the TCC to lock up. I paid about $350 for the software and hardware. Could get expensive if you want to do cross-makes (like both Ford/Chevy) or actually modify the computer programming (like Swartlkk intends). As far as I know, EFI live and HP Tuners are the two softwares currently used for this purpose. The scanner version of HP Tuners (like I have) does not allow for modifying the PCM software - you have to pay extra for that.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-29-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazertom
Thanks Rockp2!

Would I be correct in guessing there are different levels of bidirectionality available?

And what would this particular model cost?
There is the base version and then you can buy upgrades for different makes. I don't remember all the details but I know it cost me around $500 for the base version and Chevy enhanced upgrade. Just read everything on their website and you can contact them for more questions.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks to all for your replies! I appreciate the info!

BT

Old 07-29-2015, 02:12 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Looks like AutoEnginuity may read/display/control more than the others. I even saw a reference to transfer case for GM, but not sure if does transfer case on all vehicles and what it does. Any scanner that reads transfer case codes seems like a pretty complete scan tool and probably does a lot of other systems as well. Can anyone tell me the systems that the Autoenginuity reads on our Blazers?