2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Supercharger Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Beginning Member
odfareal is on a distinguished road
Default Supercharger Question

I currently have a 2000 Chevy Blazer LS 2DR 4x4 4.3L V6
I've read HP at roughly 190. I'd like to increase this to about 240 or so. Nothing major or trackworthy, just something nice and fast for the street.

I've already installed a K&N filter on a CAI, and I have some single Flowmasters installed.

I'm interested in the Wynjammer Superchargers but I have a few dilemmas...

1. What has to be changed for this Supercharger to work perfect? I'm sure this most likely isn't a plug and play type of thing. I've read the installation, and it seems very similar to installing a CAI, but I'd rather ask.

2. If this is more complicated then installing a CAI, How much do you think the local auto shop (NYC) is going to charge me for installation? Unfortunately, here in NYC, I do not have a garage or any place I can store and work on my car indoors. I've done the CAI, headlight wiring, taillights, seat handles, changed the battery, all from roadside parking. LOL

I've read:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...t=Supercharger
and I'm currently looking at:
http://www.wynjammer.com/ALM1115/GM_S10_4_3__V6.html

But want to make sure all would be good if I simply order JUST that.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:26 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

How much are they going to charge? Considering this type of procedure is not listed in any GM shop books, they are going to charge you the shop hourly charge. Depending on the shop, this could get up $75 an hour if not more.

This is not a simple upgrade like a CAI. Here you are changing out PCM's, and IMHO, I would steer away from. You don't know what kind of PCM you are going to get. For it to work "perfect", as like any other SC engine, you are going to need the upgrade the fuel injectors. Just like the 3800 series engines that are in Bonnevilles, the L36 N/A and L67 S/C are almost identical blocks. Only difference is, the L67 has the S/C, and BIGGER fuel injectors. Aside from a few other "cosmetic" hard parts, not much difference.

If you really want to push that boost, you are going to need to keep an eye on your knock retard. Pushing a lot boost is going to put a hurtin on your stock engine parts. ie pistons, connecting rods etc. They are not designed to handle this much abuse from a S/C.

I'm sure others will chime in with other info that I haven't provided. I'm curious to see the outcome of this setup though.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:29 AM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

Better to find a Vortec 350 in good shape and pay to have THAT installed...IMO

Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 09-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Beginning Member
odfareal is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by amazinnblazin
Better to find a Vortec 350 in good shape and pay to have THAT installed...IMO
I've seen 350s going for like $3k or so. Thats do-able. What else would have to be upgraded if I was to drop a 350 on it?

I apologize for the millions of questions, as I'm not a mechanic, nor have a place to work on my car. If I did, I'm sure it would be different, as I'm someone who wants to learn everything and do everything himself, but I know my limitations (Alternate side parking rules... LOL)

I appreciate all responses. Thanks again.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by odfareal
I've seen 350s going for like $3k or so. Thats do-able. What else would have to be upgraded if I was to drop a 350 on it?
I appreciate all responses. Thanks again.
Transmission, suspension, custom engine bay work to get that behometh to fit, engine cradle work, electrical work(to wire the PCM up). Your also looking at losing your Blazer for awhile. It's not an easy drop in and go job.

Oh, wait, I almost forgot that you live in NYC. I know in upstate, for the state inspection on 96 and newer cars and trucks, the check engine light must not be on and they hook your car up to a computer to check for emission codes. If you do a V-8 swap, I hope you have a matching PCM for it.