Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

SpiralMax Supercharger...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 02:15 PM
V6 Vortec Jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SpiralMax Supercharger...

I was wondering there thing supercharger which is called spiralmax not really a supercharger it goes into your intake and all blah blah what u guys think suppose to add 25 horses or something it said check out the link. http://www.spiralmax.com/

Old 09-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: SpiralMax Supercharger...

Complete and utter BS! Not worth the internet space they take up. Same thing as the tornado bs piece of crap.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:04 AM
02 Vortech is an unknown quantity at this point

yes a peice of **** but it does actually add horsepower-

because it creates about 1 lb of boost through basically a hair dyer motor- you could rig this up for about $10 at your house....

Old 12-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

1lb of boost at what engine RPM (idle...)? The compressors of the belt driven s/c's (procharger, vortech) are gear reductions and run at about 12,000rpm (at 5000rpm - but don't quote me on these numbers) inorder to push 5-7psi and that is with a MUCH larger and tighter fit/higher efficiency compressor (fan). You have to either spin very VERY fast and have lower tolerance or spin at reasonable rpm (like the procharger or vortech) and have tight tolerances to make the same boost.

The thing that kills me about these things is that they DO NOT spin faster as the engine rpm increases. They are NOT a power adder. Even if they could push 1lb of boost at redline, they would be sucking up so much hp out of the alternator that it would be a wash (or probably less hp than stock). The reason why roots type or CSC work is because they don't have conversion losses like this thing has. You have a loss when the alternator converts shaft hp to electricity, then you have another loss as the fan motor converts electricity back into shaft horsepower. Now if you had a long enough power cord and could plug in the fan on a separate power source, then you MAY not loose anything, but I am still skeptical at best as to any gains.

Not to mention that ALL of these units are made of plastic with plastic fans. Just think what would happen if they decided to shred themselves, spewing small shards of plastic into your intake. I would imagine bent valves in your future. All for $10 and pretty much no gains.

*EDIT*

Not to mention that the Spiralmax isn't a fan driven supercharger anyway... Just another crappy 'vortex' generator. It can't push boost... Neither can the electric supercharger crap - atleast not boost where you need it anyway...

It has been awhile since I wrote the first post in here and I forgot what we were originally talking about. I had to go back to the Spiralmax website.