2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Trying to select best decent-priced distributor

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 04:02 PM
mgkyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trying to select best decent-priced distributor

On my 2000 S10 Blazer with 120k miles, I have a random misfire that happens when under extra load—it seems to always happen when pulling up good-sized hills or when towing.

I am thinking it is either a cap and rotor problem or a worn distributor, so I am looking for distributors. Before I actually buy, I'll take the cap off and see if there is play or not. Since I've started looking, I have seen some posts that suggest getting a distributor that is slightly different from stock... something about the shaft being machined differently and parts being balanced?

I am just wondering if someone could point me to a rotor at a decent price that should last as long as I keep the truck. I was poking around eBay and found this 'HEI' distributor... It looks like it is the older-style one, so I would have to replace plug wires, too. And I'm still wondering if I really want one with a vacuum advance on it. Anyone know if that is a good or bad thing on these?

Checker has a stock-style one that looks like it has an aluminum housing and shaft, but it is $375, and I doubt that's necessary.

I'm willing to use the cheapest one I can find on eBay if it'll work for 10yr/100k miles or so. Anyone suggest another online seller? RockAuto's listings are all stock ones and I can't think of anyone else to check.

Thanks,

Old 11-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just go with a stock replacement. Unless you are building a race engine or like parting with your money, the billet distributors are just over kill.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Starting Member
tazz9690 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Just go with a stock replacement. Unless you are building a race engine or like parting with your money, the billet distributors are just over kill.
I am getting a replacement distributor soon. Should I just get it from the dealership, or should I shop somewhere else. Where I live there is this place called Penny Pinchers, and they offer a distributor, cap and rotor, and cam sensor. Everything, for $85 and it's new, with a 3 year warranty. Is that good, or should I shop somewhere else. Just curious by what you mean by stock replacement.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Any stock replacement (OEM or aftermarket) should work good. Most aftermarket sources have them for $80 (Dorman) to $190 (Delphi). The OE original for the 96+ engines is AC Delco PN 12598210 and goes for ~$250.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:28 PM
AL
Beginning Member
AL is an unknown quantity at this point

I just put an aluminum one in mine from ebay for $70.00 runs like new now