2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

01 blazer, hard start, poor fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:30 PM
jstutzman is on a distinguished road
Default 01 blazer, hard start, poor fuel mileage

guys,
Last year the blazer started to get poor fuel mileage. It usually gets about 18 oround our home, now its in the 16 range. I noticed that i started getting a lifter sticking after about a thousand miles after and oil change. Long story short the Lower intake manifold gasket was leaking. I bought the feelpro kit and put the new Lower gasket on. I didnt replace anything on the upper one becuase i couldnt get it off and was afraid i was gonna break it. Anyway after i put it back together, it wasnt long after that the fuel pump went out. I replaced the pump and fuel filter and it seemed to be running pretty good. The problem is that the gas mileage never came back up and it is hard to start. Not really hard to start, but you have to hold the key on for about 3 or 4 seconds and it will fire up. I have read around this site a little and thought maybe the FPR is leaking or something but i dont smell any fuel. Could i still have an issue there even though i dont smell gas. My wife has mentioned that she thought she smelled gas out side the truck in the back one time but i cant ever smell gas back there. I did replace the FP so maybe its possible that theres a pinhole there or something. Also i got a set of fuel pressure guages and it is about 58 when first hit the key then after about 3 seconds it goes to 55 psi and holds there for more than 3 mins. It didnt leak down after that so i figured it was good. Also i did all the standard stuff, new distributer, dist cap and rotor, plugs OEM, and wires. I think it is a fuel issue, but dont know what. Sometime a code will come on, but it never stays on so im not sure what that is all about. Any help will be appriciated.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:13 PM
jstutzman is on a distinguished road

bumpe

Old 11-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried any fuel injector cleaner?

Have you tried a different gas station? It is possible that the gas station you typically go to changed their formulation and your truck no longer agrees with it. I have seen as high as a 3mpg swing between gas stations with my vehicles (over the course of 4+ tank fulls from each station in town). I do that type of testing about every year or so with all of my vehicles.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:31 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read and followed the steps in this thread:
96+ Fuel System Diagnosis

Have you changed the fuel filter?