2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

# 1 cyclinder misfire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 06:16 PM
wythel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: # 1 cyclinder misfire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well i picked it up from the shop and headed home and noticed the idle is set a bit high, jerking when i put it in drive, then i noticed that as soon as i started driving that it shifted all gears prematurely and once i was going the passing gear wouldnt work. timing?? and what is it set at?

Old 01-22-2006, 12:59 AM
ShadowHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd take it back to the shop & do a drive with the tech to show the new problems.....

Old 01-25-2006, 09:45 PM

it was a idle/ shift switch.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:53 PM

well guys , i finally said forget it for now and brought it home, 2 dealers said they didnt know what it could be and the third says that they think it is a problem with the valve on the number on cyclinder. remember now the compression is fine on that cyclinder but they said that they have checked every coponent on the engine and used test parts to replace original with and have finally eliminated everything else. i do have a cyclinder 1 misfire alarm. i guess ill remove the valve cover and look for a problem with the spings etc. has anyone ever heard of a valve sticking, bent, or malfunctioning but still have good compressioin????? (not me)

Old 01-25-2006, 10:17 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, a double spring valve can give good readings due to one (outer) spring still working, even if inner is broken. I dont suggest this is your problem, but it has happened to me. Misfire on mine only happened above a certain (perhaps 2500 or so) rpm. I guess it would also depend on how much of that spring had broken off. Mine had little over one coil gone and thus was big enough to actually stay put and not injure the rest of the motor. This may have also been the reason for mine only missing at irregular intervals at a higher rpm. If I had to guess, the piece bouncing around in there moved around, causing intermittent noise problems with the LARGE spring. If I had not heard it, I would not have believed it. These are very severe duty parts and not intended to break at 9000 rpm, if you know what I mean. I have used these springs before and have seen everything around them wither away while they kept on working. Couldnt believe a brand new one doing this. I had several mechanics try to figure out my problem while it was there and no one came up with the valve spring problem. I saw it by luck when I jerked the cover looking for that tick now and then.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if it was bent, it would not have good compression. If it was a broken spring, that is an easy check with a spring compression checker that bolts to the rocker arm stud.

Did anyone ever verify the cam lobe dimensions (dial indicator on the lifter)? Also, a bad lifter on either the intake or exhaust valve could cause this as well.

Old 01-29-2006, 04:17 PM

i took off the valve cover and checked the springs and they appeared to be fine. I'll check compression myself later.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:04 AM
nslide10 is an unknown quantity at this point

i posted bout month ago mine started sayin multiple misfire than once in aewhile it said num 4 misfire all i did was put old distributor back on and rotor and it fixed the prob. i had recently bought brand new cuz 100000 miles an new engine. i didnt see any cracks no moisture it seemed to be seated right everything was fine i just put old one back on and it fixed it. so im sayin if u still got the original that was workin fine b4 u changed it try that 1 and see what u get