2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 blazer starts faster when jump started with another car

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Beginning Member
bommaritomike is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 blazer starts faster when jump started with another car

hello so i recently bought 1995 blazer but wont start cold. once it starts once will start right back up. when i hooked my car up to jumper cables it started could after a couple tries, could it be my battery? also my oil pressure gauge when i turn my key to on position stays at zero, but while gradually build up if i keep trying start car and then car will start to start when oil pressure goes up if you can please give me some helpful advice i would greatly appreciate it.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can have your battery tested at most any autoparts store.

It could be a problem with the starter drawing too much amperage away from the battery during cold starts and not delivering enough to the fuel pump to properly bring the fuel pressure up to >55psi.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Beginning Member

is there a way to test that?

Old 11-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fuel pressure test (see link in signature - the test applies to the CPI engines as well in terms of the pressures/etc).

You could also try letting the fuel system prime up before attempting to start the engine by cycling the key to the 'run' position a few times before moving to the 'start' position.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Beginning Member

Yea that's wat I have to do to get it started. So wat does it mean if u have to do that does that mean my alternator bad?

Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road

if you have to prime the system to start either the fuel pump or spider is going bad. have you gotten the battery tested yet? when was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?

Old 11-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Beginning Member

Just recently bought the car was going try to change fuel filter next but didn't understand why it started faster if I hooked it up with jumper cables ? Don't got much money trying to get it fiqured out exactly wat it is before I buy fuel pump or take intake off

Old 11-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road

the pump is seeing higher voltage so its putting out more. so if the fuel filter is clogged it would push more thru it. or the spark could be hotter so if the spider has flooded it out there might be enough spark to ignite it. but have you actually confirmed that the battery is good? and change the fuel filter because most people dont change them because they never think about it.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Administrator

If priming the system helped it start, then you likely have a leak in the fuel system. More voltage in the system will make the pump prime faster. A fuel pressure test will confirm that there is a leak.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Beginning Member

Ok ill change mu filter tommarow someone said chould be my oil pressure switch Is that possible they told me to pull my fuel pump relay while car is started and if it shuts off its the oil pressure switch or sensor and I did shut off is that right or is that just a myth

Quick Reply: 1995 blazer starts faster when jump started with another car