2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer with low oil pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 AM
GryphonBlaze is on a distinguished road

Nice, so the rod bearings would make that knocking noise I am hearing? Around how much would it be to get the rod bearings done if I needed to get em replaced?

Old 10-18-2011, 01:13 PM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GryphonBlaze
Rough Idle as in, sittin at 20 PSI rough, i think my bearings might be going bad inside the crankcase (i believe that is what its called) I might have to send them to a machine shop. Im still on the case of low oil pressure. i think the ticking might be a small "knocking" noise instead of "ticking" due to my inexperienced ears. I might have to end up getting a 3yr/100k mile motor in a box which would be awesome

If I end up having to get a new motor you guys know what to put on it before I throw it in to get a natural increase in HP?

Edit: No codes at the moment, also noted when the motor is drivin about 15+ miles the oil pressure doesn't even go above 40 PSI anymore, so its steadily declining as the motor gets hotter. As you said before hot temps kill the pressure cause it makes the oil so lubed up (rofl). Which makes me refer to the bearings inside the case.
It sounds to me like your oil pressure is fine, if there is a ruff idle it's most likely got to do with a sensor somewhere You ticking could be a sticky valve or something stupid. Drain a little oil, and add a bottle of sea foam in with the current engine oil, drive it for a few weeks to see if the ticking goes. Then change your oil with "Lucas Oil Stabilizer".
When you say knocking, can you feel the knock. Does it sound somewhat "deep" as in the frequency of the noise, if you can tell what I'm saying?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

When I got my truck the rod bearings were completely shot, took it for a ride and the oil pressure would drop to nothing after it warmed up, anytime I stopped the pressure would bottom out and you could hear the knock knock knock of the crank at idle... picked up a used motor with 49k on it, cheapest way, only cost me $1100 all together with gaskets, hoses, new radiator, mounts, trans lines, motor was $525... everything is peachy now... was a bitch to put in tho...

Old 10-19-2011, 07:24 AM
GryphonBlaze is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by coolasice
When I got my truck the rod bearings were completely shot, took it for a ride and the oil pressure would drop to nothing after it warmed up, anytime I stopped the pressure would bottom out and you could hear the knock knock knock of the crank at idle... picked up a used motor with 49k on it, cheapest way, only cost me $1100 all together with gaskets, hoses, new radiator, mounts, trans lines, motor was $525... everything is peachy now... was a bitch to put in tho...
That's exactly what my problem is. If the crank is knocking its time for a new motor I suppose right? The junkyard has a warranty on their motors so I can send them back this one and they will send me another. I just hope this next one they send sounds better than this, or I could get one from Jasper Engines remanufactured with a 3yr, 100k warranty for 1700.
Either route is gonna be expensive.

Does it sound somewhat "deep" as in the frequency of the noise, if you can tell what I'm saying?
Yea it does, as soon as it warms up. Cold start sounds real good.