2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2002 Blazer Lock Cylinder Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Beginning Member
Drew.king1112 is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 Blazer Lock Cylinder Stuck

Hello again folks,

Just replaced the heater core in my 02 blazer 4.3, so I'm putting the beast back together now. Went to turn the car on to adjust the gear change (so I could put the dash cover back on), and the key wont turn.

Friend of mine said it may be the battery. Didn't agree, but the battery was under warranty, so I replaced it anyway. It's still not working.

Infuriated given the fact that I just spent the last 6 hours replacing the heater core to find out the car won't start, so I'm hoping you guys would be able to help.

Here are a few additional facts to avoid the standard questions.

- Steering wheel is now locked, can't get it to move at all.
- disconnected the negative to try and override the ignition that way
- Wiggled the steering wheel, ignition, and steering column (as much as I could)
- Reconnected all wires
- Was working fine prior to replacing the heater core.
- replaced IGN fuse

I'll attach a video if necessary, but could really use a second opinion here. Thank you in advance.

UPDATE: Attempting to change the lock cylinder out (which I can't do unless I move the key to the ON position... stupid > ) and I broke the key off inside. I have a spare key, but I have a few problems.
1) I can't get the broken piece out (suggestions?)
2) Even if I get the piece out, I can't turn the ignition enough to move it into the RUN position, in order to remove the cylinder.

Is my only option (aside from calling a lock smith) to drill the cylinder out? If so, any specific steps I need to take to avoid destroying anything else?

Long post, sorry. At a point now where I'm about to have this thing towed to the desert to use for target practice. I appreciate your assistance in advance.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:14 PM
Beginning Member
esstenner is an unknown quantity at this point

FWIW Drew I'm no expert but battery should not affect turning the key in the cylinder but low battery may prevent key removal. If the cylinder did not turn it sounds like the shifter was not in the correct position to enable the key to turn, perhaps not in Park. As far as the broken key ................ I guess try to pry it out Needle nose pliers/pick.
Good luck ..Nige..

Old 11-23-2016, 01:21 PM
Beginning Member

The shifter appears to be in the correct position. When I was ankle to turn the key, it indicated it was in park as well.

Tried needle nose pliers, no luck. It's stuck for good.

New question, when drilling out the cylinder, any pointers on where to drill? I don't have a.large enough bit to drill the entire thing out, so I was hoping for direction on where I'd need to drill to drop the locking tab out

Old 11-23-2016, 02:28 PM
Beginning Member

New update: started drilling it out, but still not moving. I'm half tempted to drill the entire thing out in hopes of having it split and fall out. Not sure if it will work, but as I need this done ASAP to get it going again for work.

AnYonex have experience with this?